Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak factory engine pieces

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weak factory engine pieces

I heard that the factory supplied oil pumps should be upgraded and the timing chains could be better as well as the valve springs.
Any other LS1 components that, if I add a blower, or just other bolt on performance goodies, that should be upgraded?
Once I change cams, I'll add the proper springs, hardened pushrods and such, add an electric water pump. Anything else?
Old 06-08-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the parts are not weak, they just do not support anything more than stock. If you toss a high ramp cam at an ls1 with all stock internals, yeah your going to have some issues. If your building a blower car, and want it to make over 5 lbs of boost with out melting down be prepared for a 10,000 build up. yeah,yeah I have 8lbs on stock internals, good, glad, but most engines will go byebye. at the very least you need

6.0 liter heads
fuel pump
hotwire/boost a pump depends on boost
injectors prefer the moton 60lbers
head studs
forged internals
split duration blower freindly cam
dual valve springs
dual timing chain
ported oil pump
clutch or stall
rear end.

Or drop a ati on a stock car drive it hard, and watch what you toast. Good luck, just do your reasearch first, check out the forced induction section if you read there about an hour you will see what most are running, and it is a big list. do it once right, or not at all.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rod bolts are good insurance if you're not going to do a full build. You might get better responses if you put this in the forced induction or internal engine sections.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rod bolts/springs/timing chain/oil pump/pushrods/lifters are all good insurance and can make a car take some abuse
Old 06-09-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

I thought people were spinning up to 7 grand on stock rod bolts. I have not been here as long as most of you so its very likely i am missing something.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't done extensive research into it yet, I'm still just on bolt-ons, but I definitely think if you're planning 7k that you should do rod bolts -- among other things. There are guys spinning slower that have done them for insurance. I suppose it has a lot to do with whether you're a fix-it-when-it-breaks type, or if you prefer to make it bullet-proof from the get-go.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was planning on adding the ATI kit, which if I recall supplies the injectors, fuel pump, or booster pump, everything. I think the kit I want is the 8lb kit, but it seems most I read is its just a bolt onto your motor and use the supplied tuner to flash the ecm and go. Made to go with stock internals and heads, and such.

Is this a false assumption?
I'll also add this question to the Forced Induction section
Old 06-13-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can do it, but I would not. for one it will not make the power it could, plus I think your a bit high on your boost calculation for stock internals. figure 6 lbs and a heavy rich a/r for saftey. But it is not a ssimple as building on a kit. Believe me I have worked on 2 ati cars, and one vortec, tuned all 3, watched them dynoed, and know what happens to the stock setup. you get nothing compared to a built motor, and even then you have a ton of cash in supporting mods. I am not stating that I know everything, but I would just get a 150 shot if I were you, for one it is going to be tough in canada to find a tuner, mail order tunes are crap on blown cars, even if you buy hp tuner, it will take you a year to know how to tune, I have had it 4 years, and I still have to learn and learn, plus you mark my words, first thing the ati 6 rib will **** belts, then you'll say ok only 5 hundred for the 8rib sdce setup, you get that, then instead of 6lbs, now you are actually getting 8lbs, of boost, then watch as stuff self distructs. Like I said before you can do it, I would not. basically it is like putting a turbo on a civic, you can do it, why would you want to, start with atleast a better car. same for the motor, build it to handle the boost, then you will not have issues with it.