Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEM's new "DRYFLOW" filters...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AEM's new "DRYFLOW" filters...

I searched around the boards and didnt find out much info about this... AEM has new filters they are calling "dryflow". They dont require oiling. They claim that these filters filter down to 1 micron. They admit that these filters dont flow as well as a cotton filter does, but the difference seems minmal.

My choices are limited since I have a custom intake on my 87. So I need a conical filter with a 4" opening. They have one now and is priced close to K&N's price. About $50.

Im thinkin about giving it a try. Im about to install a new MAF sensor before my tune, so I figured I might as well eliminate the oil as a problem starter all together.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=32

Any input on these things??

Justin
Old 06-11-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I would highly recommend the Amsoil EaAU filters over ANY oiled cotton gauze or the AEM dryflow. They have one to fit almost anything: http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaau.aspx
Old 06-12-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Huh...I couldnt find the universal charts for the Amsoil before. THANKS! Ill probably definetly go with one of those. Just wish they werent blue...

Found the one I want. Conical 4" inlet with 9" element. I also found the info I wanted on flow and cleaning process and all. Its not in the universal filter section, its in the replacement filter section. I would imagine both filter/flow/clean the same.

I trust the name...so Ill probably snag one of them.

Justin

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 06-12-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Huh...I couldnt find the universal charts for the Amsoil before. THANKS! Ill probably definetly go with one of those. Just wish they werent blue...

Found the one I want. Conical 4" inlet with 9" element. I also found the info I wanted on flow and cleaning process and all. Its not in the universal filter section, its in the replacement filter section. I would imagine both filter/flow/clean the same.

I trust the name...so Ill probably snag one of them.

Justin
The cleaning information is here:
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaa.aspx

Cleaning
EaA filters should be cleaned every year or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. Carefully remove the filter from the housing. Clean the housing with a shop towel, being careful not to knock contaminants into the air inlet. Filters can be cleaned by carefully vacuuming the filter media on the dirty side, or by holding the filter with one hand and carefully blowing the filter media at a 45 degree angle on the clean side using low-pressure shop air (15-20 lbs. psi).

I haven't seen any absolute laboratory test data on these filters, nor have I for any other brand. I'll let you know in a few thousand miles when I get my next UOA how they compare to the Halltech Warhead filter. My suspicion is the EaA is not even in the same league.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha..whoa man. Ya lost me. What is UOA? and what is the Hallech Warhead filter?

Are you thinking the amsoil filters wont be as good? I didnt order one yet...Im still mulling the choices over. Like I said, amsoil seems to be reputable. So Ide probably go with them over the AEM...

J.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha..whoa man. Ya lost me. What is UOA? and what is the Hallech Warhead filter?

Are you thinking the amsoil filters wont be as good? I didnt order one yet...Im still mulling the choices over. Like I said, amsoil seems to be reputable. So Ide probably go with them over the AEM...

J.
i think UOA is a "used oil analysis" & halltech makes vette filters (http://www.corvettec5.com/)

Last edited by jimmypop13; 06-12-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

The dryflow came out about a year ago, its awesome. ive sold probably 50 intakes through the shop and never had a complaint

I ran one on my racecar since they were available and love it. and the best part is you never have to worry about accidentally over oiling it and ******* your MAF. I will be running one on the new engine too. cant say enough good things about it.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

J.
I expect the Amsoil to be much better.

Kamin,
Have you done any oil analysis on cars running the AEM filter? I would be very curious to hear your experience because I was considering one of these. The results I've seen so far have NOT been impressive. They appear to be restrictive and not efficient.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

unfortunately no i havent, even if i had i would only take the oil analysis out of my car with a grain of salt because the car literally sits for a month at a time, then goes wide open throttle for 2 hours in a weekend, then sits for another few weeks.

i understand what you are saying about the filter being TOO restrictive, but i think thats why they run such a large filter, and they just introduced their "workhorse" line that has a filter about twice the size of the current ones for gas engines (its a diesel line).
Old 06-13-2007, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

So it sounds like the Amsoil is a good choice for a dry universal cone filter. And it sounds like AEM has some backing too. I actually dont mind AEM as a company. Yes they are for imports mainly. But they arent like APC atleast! haha.

Ok, well...Since I found out that you can use the preferred customer option on amsoil's website, and get a killer shipped price, Im probably giong to do that. Gonna save me about $20 over the AEM.

I think Im going to use the 4" inlet with a 7" filter element. I wanted to get the 9" with the concave end that has more filter element, but its just a tad too long. I think it should still be plenty of filter for me.

Justin
Old 06-15-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got my filter in the mail today. Amsoil ships from a warehouse in lancaster apparently. Which is less than 40 minutes away. haha. So I guess anything I order will come next day.

Filter looks good. I got the one with the 4" inlet and 7" long element. Its a good looking filter. I cleaned my MAF with MAF cleaner also. Figured since Im pulling the k&n, I might as well try to get any oil off that may have went through.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Justin
Old 06-15-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

I got my filter in the mail today. Amsoil ships from a warehouse in lancaster apparently. Which is less than 40 minutes away. haha. So I guess anything I order will come next day.

Filter looks good. I got the one with the 4" inlet and 7" long element. Its a good looking filter. I cleaned my MAF with MAF cleaner also. Figured since Im pulling the k&n, I might as well try to get any oil off that may have went through.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Justin
Awesome, let us know how it works out. You may want to reset your fuel trims also. Cleaning the MAF element is always a good idea when using an oiled gauze filter.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

So it sounds like the Amsoil is a good choice for a dry universal cone filter. And it sounds like AEM has some backing too. I actually dont mind AEM as a company. Yes they are for imports mainly. But they arent like APC atleast! haha.

Ok, well...Since I found out that you can use the preferred customer option on amsoil's website, and get a killer shipped price, Im probably giong to do that. Gonna save me about $20 over the AEM.

I think Im going to use the 4" inlet with a 7" filter element. I wanted to get the 9" with the concave end that has more filter element, but its just a tad too long. I think it should still be plenty of filter for me.

Justin
The Amsoil is a great filter media. Unless something surfaces in upcoming UOA's, I won't be switching from the Amsoil.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Awesome, let us know how it works out. You may want to reset your fuel trims also. Cleaning the MAF element is always a good idea when using an oiled gauze filter.
So far so good. I mean...it fits well, looks great, and I can only assume at this point that its filtering good..haha.

How exactly do I reset my fuel trims? Do i just do the PCM reset (ign on, pull PCM fuses, wait awhile...)

I took the car on a semi long drive. About an hour / ~50 miles. Most of it was highway driving 65+mph. Car feels great. Seems to be running really well lately. But regardless, I think it needs tuning, so hopefully the shop can fit me in soon.

Justin
Old 06-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned

Those filters seem pretty cool, but they don't make them in panel style filters!!

If they did, I'd definitely buy one!!
Old 06-17-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

So far so good. I mean...it fits well, looks great, and I can only assume at this point that its filtering good..haha.

How exactly do I reset my fuel trims? Do i just do the PCM reset (ign on, pull PCM fuses, wait awhile...)

I took the car on a semi long drive. About an hour / ~50 miles. Most of it was highway driving 65+mph. Car feels great. Seems to be running really well lately. But regardless, I think it needs tuning, so hopefully the shop can fit me in soon.

Justin
Do you have a tuning tool? If not, disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
Those filters seem pretty cool, but they don't make them in panel style filters!!

If they did, I'd definitely buy one!!
They do make stock replacement panel filters in the EaA product line. The one referenced in this thread is the EaAU which is a universal line of cone type filters with the same great filter media. See the following link: http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaa.aspx
Old 06-17-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Do you have a tuning tool? If not, disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes.

No tuning tool...so Ill just reset things with the battery...

Out of curiousity...what are ideal trims? I have a scan gauge that shows long and short term fuel trims for both banks. I tried searching for what ideal numbers would be, but didnt get a simple answer. Could be because there is no simple answer...

Also, in case anyone is curious. Here are a few pictures of the filter I bought installed.

Thanks again for all your advice and help guys! I feel much better knowing that there is NO chance of oil ruining my MAF or screwing with things. I have a brand new Z06 MAF going in when I get a tune, so Ide rather know that it will be clean.

J.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

No tuning tool...so Ill just reset things with the battery...

Out of curiousity...what are ideal trims? I have a scan gauge that shows long and short term fuel trims for both banks. I tried searching for what ideal numbers would be, but didnt get a simple answer. Could be because there is no simple answer...

Also, in case anyone is curious. Here are a few pictures of the filter I bought installed.

Thanks again for all your advice and help guys! I feel much better knowing that there is NO chance of oil ruining my MAF or screwing with things. I have a brand new Z06 MAF going in when I get a tune, so Ide rather know that it will be clean.

J.

Looks

LTFT should idealy be 0 to -5.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:55 PM
11 Second Truck Club

DryFlow on ProCharger here...love it...my personal opinion is that an oiled filter is great in a sealed area, but I would rather have the DryFlow in an open, underhood application like mine...

Quick Reply: AEM's new "DRYFLOW" filters...