Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery blues......

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dead battery blues......

Not sure if this belongs here, but, is anyone having probs w/dead batteries after car has sat for a week or so? Been through three batteries in 3 years because of some kind of odd drain/pull on the battery power. Once jumped, the car will start every time until it sits again for 5-6 days.

Alt. test shows a good charge rate, so leaning toward the
only component addition to the system : the tach/shift light which is hooked to key "on" power. A buddy of mine is having the same issues w/the same tach. Coincidence? Also running ASP UD pulleys, but again, alt. output is good.

Not the "electrical guru" here, so any help diagnosing this would be a great help.

TIA.......
Old 05-04-2003, 05:47 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Dead battery blues......

The way I look for this type of problem is with a amp meter. You disconnect one of the battery terminals & put the meter one lead on batt. other on cable end . When you do test make sure there is no extra load on battery, (i.e. dome light etc) The parasitic draw on battery cannot excede 50 milli amps. If it does, you will have the problem you describe. Then you can pull fuses till problem goes away & then you know which cuircuit to diagnois for the excess drain.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure if this belongs here, but, is anyone having probs w/dead batteries after car has sat for a week or so?
TIA.......
INTERESTING...have had the exact same prolem on my '00 Z28. I chalked it up to the unlikely event of 2 bad batteries in a row. It'll be on the road shortly, will have to monitor...

The Helms factory manual has a test you can perform to see if there is what is called a parasitic drain. I did it and found no drain within the car to account for the discharge.

let us know what you find.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrencher.....thanx Hadn't thought to pull fuses to icsolate(sp.?) the circiut that's involved. Will try it.

Dave....Yeah, I'd thought the same thing(and not having any outward charging issues), but this being the third battery, and knowing two other's with the same problem is driving me toward finding the root cause....and the little gremlin

Old 05-05-2003, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Have you installed any accessory like a tach or shift light? Be sure you connected to a switched positive lead or that could draw current.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Well, what a coincidence..I sign on, come to this forum to post the same exact problem and my buddy has already taken care of it for me.

Mine has been a little more extreme, I have been through five (5) batteries in 1.5 years.

So, Mike, have you been able to try any of the ideas posted? I can't seem to find my meter, worst is, I can't remember who I lent it to....doh!