Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, but another bunch of exhaust questions....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sorry, but another bunch of exhaust questions....

I have been reading posts lately and have searched, but I still have a lot of questions. I have been around older cars a lot, but I am not too familiar with newer cars. I am the proud owner of a 2002 Trans Am WS6, and I want to make a few upgrades sometime in the near future. I am going to get a TSP lid, and upgrade the exhaust, which I need more info on. I would like to eventually get headers, but I will start with the catback system and possibly a new y-pipe (I'll ask about headers later). What exactly is an offroad y-pipe? Does it not have cats? I am pretty sure that I want one with high flow cats, but if anyone can give me more info on this, that would be great. Now, about the catback. I figure they basically flow the same, so I am just going by quality, price, and sound. Nobody in my area has any to listen to, but I will have to find one probably before I buy, so I don't waste my money. From sound clips I have heard, the Hooker catback and Borla catback sound the best. SLP Loudmouth is a little behind them, and the Corsa and Magnaflow clips sounded bad. But if anybody has other sound clips, I would love to hear them. The ones I found were at ls1info.com. Also, what about Bassani? They have good exhaust, but I can't find a sound clip anywhere. Can anyone lead me to one? From what I read on this site, it seems that Hooker, Borla, and SLP are the favorites (besides true duals), can you explain why you think so? Does the Hooker system rust at all, since it is not stainless steel? If I plan to get LT headers later, will any y-pipe bolt to these and the catback system? Sorry about all the questions, but I do need some advice and some questions answered before I spend a lot of money. Thanks!!!
Old 05-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Sorry, but another bunch of exhaust questions....

I can't be of too much help but I will try anyway.

I am pretty certain that the off-road pipes replace the cats. As far as exhaust sound goes, I have the SLP Loudmouth and really like it. It is very loud and I have heard that it gets too loud with headers and off-road pipes but I do not plan on headers or ORP's myself. I am not sure if my Loudmouth is the best exhaust or not but I like it and I went with it because I liked the sound and the cost was fairly cheap.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan on getting LT's, your best bets are Magnaflow, Hooker, Borla, SLP Dual/Dual, or True Duals. I don't have any info on Bassani. You may be able to find some clips on the site through the search functon or the multimedia section.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Off road Y-pipes are y-pipes without cats. If you are going to run one of these, you best bet is an exhaust system with some kind of muffler.
I would stay away from the Loudmouth, GmmmG...etc as they would prob be to loud and raw sounding.

hooker borla SLP are the most popular. The SLP dual is a great performance catback that is quiet. Its all about the sound you like. All those systems come alive with an ORYpipe

most header brands also come with their own y-pipe, which most are compatable to any catback.

Bassani i think is a cross between B&Btriflow and corsa.
(i duno how i came up with that )

have you checked out true duals?
Old 05-06-2003, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't want true duals because it is still under warranty for quite a while, and I might get an extended warranty (It is a 2002 WS6 with about 14000 miles). Anyone else have comments, sound clips, or any info at all? Thanks
Old 05-06-2003, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You go with an ORY (remove cats), and I bet they will try to void your warranty. They may even do it with headers.