Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 sims

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 sims

I purchased a mac off road y pipe for my 98 ta and got the sensors too. Im wondering wjere exactl y they go and how they work.And I would like to know if anybody has the mac oryp and how hard it is to install and what it sounds like I have a flowmaster catback.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:11 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: 02 sims

O2 sims plug into the REAR O2 sensor harnesses. Don't plug them into the front harnesses or your car will not run for crap. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you lose any accuracy in Air Fuel Ratio when you use an O2 sim?
Old 05-06-2003, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

No. The front bank are the ones that control the engine management as far as the A/F are concerned. That's why you can't use the sims on the front because those sensors are constantly adjusting. The rears are more like a checking system of sorts, post cats. The sims will simulate a constant value to the computer which falls into the "acceptable" range which wont throw an SES light. If you've ever seen the diagnostics on a Tech II, you'll see the rear O2's on sims never move. They stay constant which is why your car wont run right if you mistakenly hook them up wrong to the front sensors.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the info now i can put my oryp on and not have any worries
Old 05-07-2003, 03:22 AM
TECH Resident

A couple of other points. Make sure you don't need extensions to have enough wire. I needed two 24" extension for mine to fit. Also, the sims work well but they are not always the most reliabel component and sometimes go bad. If it does, you'll just get an SES light. No big deal but just suspect that the sim may have crapped out before you freak out for nothing. This problem was more prevalent on the 3-wire version than the 4-wire version. You should be fine, though.