Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout and metal slapping sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutout and metal slapping sound

I've searched and found a few threrads with people describing the same problem I'm having but no one actuall figured it out. Most of the threads were from back a few years ago.

The problem is a slapping metal sound when my cutout is open and I'll rev it to about 2k and on decel I hear this slapping/rattling metal sound coming from under the car. I got under the car yesterday and smacked my heat shields around and found the one that is over the y pipe loose in one spot so I used a piece of tough foam to fix that. Didnt help my cutout rattle though. In the other threads I read they said it could be a bad cat, a bad 02, and some said it was normal. Has anyone fixed this problem. The e-cutout is my only exhaust mod.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd unbolt the e-cutout flange, leave it uncapped and see if it stops. If it does it's the cutout, if it doesn't it's something else. After a couple years mine started rattling when closed so I took it off.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well I tightened up the bolts on the cutout a little more and put my video camera on it while I reved the engine with the cutout open and closed and got no vibration from the cutout at all. You can still hear the noise when the cutout is closed, just not nearly as loud.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a cat that had something loose in it. It would rattle its *** off.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try having someone rev the car while you are looking under??? The engine will move when you rev it, and will move back when you let off the gas. Momentum might carry it alittle further on the way back. Check and make sure your clearances are 1/4"+ around all your pipes. That includes the ones after the cut out (over the axle pipe, muffler, all the clamps, etc etc)

J.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Did you try having someone rev the car while you are looking under??? The engine will move when you rev it, and will move back when you let off the gas. Momentum might carry it alittle further on the way back. Check and make sure your clearances are 1/4"+ around all your pipes. That includes the ones after the cut out (over the axle pipe, muffler, all the clamps, etc etc)

J.
I'm gonna try to do that after work today.