Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Hard Starting

Engine seems to be having a hard time starting lately. Not as bad in the morning as when its hot and it takes 5 sec or so of cranking before starting.
Sometimes when its cold, I will crank for the normal ~1 sec without it starting (it normally would) and crank it again right away and it will fire up.
Once it starts, it runs kind of rough (surging), but still seems to drive strong.

Another thing I noticed is that the temperature gauge shows the same as it always does after driving for a while, but it feels extremely hot under the hood.

I tried to search for "hard starting" in titles only and it gave me a bunch of non related threads.

Is there anything that I should know that is prone to causing this problem before I start tearing into everything?

118k+ mi, Stock wires, 100k+ mi on NGK-TR55IX plugs, changed fuel filter at 90K mi, stock water pump/thermostat, periodic sea foam treatment (put a can in the gas tank yesterday to see if maybe dirty injectors)

Just started acting like this the other day.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

i would change the plugs and wires and reset the pcm
Old 06-19-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm having the same problem. I posted up in the diagnostic forum and this is beginning to sound like a tuneing issue.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

I haven't done anything yet, although I have been noticing that when I go to start in the morning (cold start) the volt gauge will be halfway between 12 and 18 volts. After driving for a while and getting warmed up, the needle makes it's way to 12 and hovers there, sometimes going a little below. When the RPMs go up, the needle moves slightly above 12 but not always. I'm figuring the alternator is crapping out when it gets hot. Could this also be affecting the hard starting? By the way, should I get a replacement alternator or just go with a rebuild kit? I will definitely change the plugs and wires as well.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

same problem...but i have a vacuum leak i've neglected
Old 06-26-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I'm very sorry to jump in but to one of the previous poster's how do you reset the PCM? I think my car needs this bad.