Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount to engine bolts dont line up PICS

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor mount to engine bolts dont line up PICS

So I'm in the middle of installing my driver side motor mount and I cant get the bolts to line up to the block. I have not taken the passenger side mount out yet so I cant see the block shifting much to create this problem. I have tried raising and lowering the block, I even pried on it a little, but it aint budging. I double checked the instructions on assembling the new mount with the poly mount in it and its put together right. Mount was also inserted with tabs up. This is such a PITA!

Old 06-21-2007, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Loosen the lower mount where it bolts to frame don't take bolts all the way out this will give you more movement to install engine mount. once all bolts are in tighten them all back up.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

I was going to use that as a last resort, but if that's the only option I have then I guess I'll give it a try. Another problem is I installed a UMI torque arm with the relocation bracket and the trans mount is as far forward as it will go in the space where you bolt the mount to the crossmember. I dont think I will be able to shift the engine any further forward without putting a ton of stress on the trans mount.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

I just got through installing both sides not too long ago. It was the biggest pain - and the stupid holes were only off by not even 1/4 inch!!
I had the exact problem with the driver's side, although after I replaced the passenger side first without any problems.
For lining up the holes, I had to use a prybar and get in between the clamshell and the frame bracket and pry the engine over enough for my girl to tap the bolt in enough to hole in front. I ground the tip of the bolt so it was a little narrower, which allowed me to get the tip in far enough (just up to the threads). I then screwed the bolt in the whole way. I figured there was enough friction due to the misalignmet of the holes against the bolt that I could screw the bolt all the way through. It worked until the bolt tip hit the rear hole, which was off a little more than the front. I had to pry the rear side a little while screwing the bolt so that the threads would catch the edge of the frame mount and a minute later, the bolt was all the way through.
I regret not taking pictures of anything, but it looked pretty much like your pics.
Once again, this was a pain in the *** (on jack stands in the driveway). I'm sure it would've been easier with a lift and some room for a giant prybar to align the holes.
I am glad I did the change, as the stock mounts were cracked and loose enough to move by hand when I got them out! (118k miles).
Old 06-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Teching In

The pedestal needs to go inbetween the 2 tabs on the mount so you can line it up. You will need to raise/lower the engine to achieve this. You can see in the pics the tab on the mount is actually touching the pedestal, preventing left to right movement. Also try to get all the bolts started before you tighten any down.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off.. get that mount off the pedistal.. get the engine as high as it will go.. then loosely bolt on 2 bolts at opposite corners... the pedistal is making it not line up..
Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

I've raised the engine more now, but it wont go high enough to completely clear the pedestal, it starts to lift the car. I've pulled the trans mount bolt so it has room to move, the engine just wont go any higher. Am I going to have to unbolt the pedestal?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Ok got the pedestal bolted to the engine. Now its time to get the 18mm pedestal to mount bolt through and of course, its no where near lining up. I'm workin solo right now, might wait til later when my dad is around so I can pry on the pedestal while he pushes the bolt through. Thanks for the help so far, any advice on lining up the 18mm bolt?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

off by a 1/4 inch is a LOT.... relatively speaking
Old 06-21-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

Just want to let everyone know that I just finished it up. Biggest @&#*$&@ pain in the ***. I dont know how people say they do it in 3 or 4 hours, took me 2 days. Nothing lined up, nothing slid in perfectly, nothing fit right. I'm glad I did it tho, will never do it again thats for sure haha. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Mine was a big pain in the *** too I ended up loosening the tranny mount also. Just kept moving the motor around. Getting the big bolt through was a pain also but after using a alignment tool and tapping the bolt with a hammer I finally got it in.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I had the trans mount loose also. I hope I never have to do that install again.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

i feel your pain buddy, i just finished mine. it took me and my buddy three full days. here is my advice to you:

1. jack the engine all the way up.
2. mount the mounts onto the engine. thread the bolts only a couple turns, enough such that it stays, and not much more.
3. loosen the pedestals. i only did one side and got it to line up, you might have to do two.
4. first try lining up the side which you didn't loosen teh pedestel and getting the big bolt through. this will not be easy, but with patience (and luck) it is doable
5. once that bolt is in, lower the engine such that the opposite mount is close to the pedestal, and with the pedestal loosened the same way the motor mounts were, bring teh pedestal to the mount. this should enable you to install the second big bolt
6. torque the motor mounts
7. torque the pedestals
8. torque the big bolts
9. reinstall all the accessories and exhausts and other stuff you removed for this install
10. crack open a beer and celebrate

i promise you, if i didn't live in NY, i would come help you. i went at it so many times, i think i could do it in a few hours by now. let me know if that helps at all

Quick Reply: Motor mount to engine bolts dont line up PICS