Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will rear o2 work in front?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will rear o2 work in front?

Are the rear o2s the same as the front ones? I ask this because I hacked up my harness on one of my sensors to install my wideband as a narrowband. It would be easy to just throw one of the rear ones in front and weld a new bung on for the wideband. I want to go back to closed loop which is the reason why i am asking.

Btw, i recall there are two brown wires on the sensor, does it matter which way they are connected or are they both the same thing?
Old 06-22-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes it will

I had a failing front O2 before I put in headers, needless to say, after the longtubes it went and I swapped it with one of my non used rears, been fine ever since.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought F-bodys could not use the rear's in front but could use corvette rears in front and it would have enough wire to not need and extension.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm currently using extensions and my original driver's front O2, and my passenger rear O2 on it.

All 4 O2 sensors for my car were the same so no point in buying any. I now have a spare O2 in case, but haven't had to use it.

Keep in mind that I went far out of my way to make sure I could reuse my O2's, I ceramic coated QTP Stainless Steel longtubes. There was speculation that perhaps the relocation of the O2's and the faster flow characteristics of longtubes were the cause of some of the stock O2 setups failing. The ceramic coating keeps the heat in the exhaust and probably offsets the relocation in my case.