Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird noise around 5000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default weird noise around 5000 rpm

whenever i get on it in my car i hear a weird noise from the engine at about 5000 rpm. i really dont know how to explain it it just kinda sounds like a rattleing noise. dont know if its just one of the weird noises the car may make or what. if anyone has any idea let me know. thanks o yeah it did this both before and after tuning
Old 05-07-2003, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: weird noise around 5000 rpm

Sounds like you're pinging to me.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does that mean? pinging?
Old 05-07-2003, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pinging=pre-ignition. Means that your air/fuel mixture is burning before your plug fires. It can be caused by too hot of a plug or low octane gas.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

your timming is advanced by your maf and the prediator tunning this is causing your car to run lean and thus your fule is ignighting before your intake valve is closed (i think) if your maf is new and ping is light it might work out but if its been a couple weeks ship it back to slp. they has told me this happens sometimes in warmer climates... but yuo can also try finding a better gas highest octane and i personally found citigo or aamco to work the best for my car you see the gas is basiclly ingniting before your engine is ready to burn it so it pings cause the engine has sensors to stop it from detnoating. If this happened which it most likely wont your engine will go bye bye but by letting it ping you are loosing power cause the comp is telling the ignition to (pull out timing) which i think means it delays the spark for a small time (frac of sec) which protects the car but makes you run solower than without the problem
Old 05-08-2003, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

all in all your running lean causing detnoation the fun part now is finding out how to fix this a good satrt is to think what if anything has changed recently (by recently i mean up to the last 3-5 months) beacouse it takes time for computer to adjust one and 2 when its colder out you can get by running a bit leaner and some times that makes the diff. see i had a simlar problem but i had knock arround 1500 rpm at pt throddle after adding my hpp3 to my car i could not figure it out for a long time cause id pull my maf and pp3 AND IT WOULD STILL BE THERE but i knew it all came about a couple weeks after adding them both. (which botm manfactures claim high rpm knock had been reported but never had low rpm problems) as winter approched it went away and i said id wait until summer to give my still breaking in car time to learn the equipment now 90 deg out side i rarely have a problem but like i said to start mine was light to be sure its detnoation some say take your best street gas. (93 or 94) and mix it with race gas in a 2\3 gas to 1\3 race gas proportion this will raise your octane rating if this stops the ping theny you can rest assure the problem is your timming that is being added by one of the two parts once sure of this you can either remove the part if the computer does not learn it after like say 1000 miles or go get cust tunning. try and isolate when its happening like only on hot days or only after sitting if its on the border like mine was then mabye a 160 stat and colder plugs and some redline and a 30\70 mix in radiator will so the trick good luck and shoot me a line if you have any questions jpr5690@aol.com