Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP issues months after install

Old 06-24-2007, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP issues months after install

I purchased these bad ****'s about a year and half ago and loved every minute of them. A while back I started to notice a slight rattle/vibration when I make sharp left or right turns. So I went out, bought a jack and some stands and scoped it out. I noticed on the passenger side that the clearance between one of the primaries and the k member is 1 MM at BEST. Ontop of that on the driver side, I think I have narrowed down the problem since I found a rough spot with some rust on it. Now I know these headers are SS, so they shouldn't rust which leads me to believe that the K-member is rubbing in this location. Below are some photos. Does anybody have this same issue or anybody have some solutions? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

This is the passenger side K-member

Another shot of the passenger side.

Here is the driver side with rust depicted.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

Solid mounts.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Seems like your motor mounts are going south. Poly/solid motor mounts should fix that.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Motormounts, lol that was the last thing that I thought was wrong. The car is an 02 with only 34k on the clock. Is that a common thing that motormounts go out?
Old 06-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LUNATIC
Motormounts, lol that was the last thing that I thought was wrong. The car is an 02 with only 34k on the clock. Is that a common thing that motormounts go out?
look at it this way:

your 2002 car was actually made in 2001. it is 2007. that means your heavy engine has been tugging on those RUBBER mounts for 6 years.

regardless of the mileage on your car, it is still six years old. if your car was a daily driven car, it should have more like 60,000 - 90,000 miles on it. there are still hundreds and hundreds of pounds of weight pulling on those poor mounts. the car could have 0 miles. it's still a 6 year old car with 6 year old mounts that have had 6 years of holding a 300-400 lb engine up, not to mention all the crap attached to it..

i'm debating whether or not to put poly's in with my LT's. i'm not about to do a motor mount swap myself. i'd LOVE to have the mounts, i'm just scared of the labor charges, even with the whole exhaust off. if it tacks on 4 hours of labor at $65 an hour...holy crap...
Old 06-24-2007, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

That is a good point, do you need to remove the k member in order to swap out mounts or can that be done with the member in place? I remember when I installed these LT's we loosened the motormounts and jacked it up an inch or so. Is there any play in these or could my mechanic have forgotten to tighten them back up?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

for me, stock mounts to solid motor mounts took about a hour. i replaced mine while i had the exhaust manifolds off before i installed the headers. i didnt remove the alternator or starter.

Search this Thread