Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will headers affect wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default will headers affect wiring?

i was thinking about buying slp longtube headers but have been told by my dad (who is a mechanic for 30 years) that it would melt my wiring. i think he says these things to stop me from making my car faster. is this going to be a problem?
Old 05-08-2003, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: will headers affect wiring?

Hey Man, your dad is not lying. In some cars there are a lot of clearance issues with headers and stuff that can melt (wires...). But I have not read of many of these problems with LS-1s. I have FLP LT's and they fit like a glove, but they are not the same dimensions as the stock stuff so it is not impossible for them to rub/ burn something. The only issue I had was my emissions tube that I connected to my header rubbed my AC tube and eventually ruptured it. It would have been an easy fix if I had coaught it earlier though.

-Nick
Old 05-08-2003, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SLPs burnt through the orange wrop they give you and melted about 4 of my PCM wires. I can snap a digipic of the "burn proof" wrap they give you with a big hole in it
Old 05-09-2003, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

Anything is possible but short plug wires are a good thing!! I have not personally experienced any cars here that have melted wires. Make sure they are Jet-Hotted or equivalent to keep the temps under the hood down and go for it. Check everything out after you install and look for potential problems ahead of time.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Awwe great I have slp lt's and they are touching the wrap on the drivers side. So far so good, but I better check it out now.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can and should also get some "cool tube" wiring protectors. They are easy to install and will protect well.