Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is there oil in my intake?

Old 05-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why is there oil in my intake?

Hi guys,

A while ago when I ported and polished my TB, i noticed that there was some oil in the bottom of my intake manifold. I didn't think much of it and thought it was normal. But now I read about the PCV pulling oil into the intake?

Can someone please explain to me why there is oil there and if it serves a purpose? I am by far no expert when it comes to this stuff so any help is appreciated.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Why is there oil in my intake?

You need to do a search and look up "PCV mod". Our cars are have TERRIBLE PCV set ups. If you think your intake is oily just wait until you get a look at the intake runners on the heads!!
Old 05-09-2003, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BigBlack....

Man, you have almost 900 posts here. I would have thought you would have heard about our poorly designed PCV system.

Like Chris says... Do a search for "PCV". You will find a ton of info on the PCV system and fixes. It's all coming from your valve covers through the PCV system.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:32 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Thanks for the responses guys. Well, I heard about the PCV system but never knew exactly what it was. I had no idea that it had anything to do with oil in the intake manifold. I want to do the PCV mod, but first I will try the catch can.

Also, as i was looking at the PCV mod instructions, it said that it is basically the LS1 to LS6 PCV conversion. My car was one of the 25% that came with teh LS6 block. Does this mean my valley cover is the same as the LS6? or does that have nothing to do with it?

For now, should I clean up the oil from the intake? I mean is it harming my engine in any way?

BTW, the only knowledge I have about cars is from these forums and from working on my car. I ask a lot of questions but i try the searches first. I'm still 18 and still learning about engines so tehse things may not come as easily to me as some of the otehr vets around here. But i think i hold my own quite well here.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

BigBlackZ28,

You're doing good; keep asking questions;

I know it's expesive at $120 for a new one,
but a Helm's ("factory") F-Car manual set is well worth it (it's almost the best money you could spend, and your buddies will think you're the absolute Z28 guru...).

There is a PCV with a smaller orifice, but I don't have the part number with me... sorry... hmmm... I think it's something like 12572712 or something if I can remeber...

Old 05-10-2003, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Also, as i was looking at the PCV mod instructions, it said that it is basically the LS1 to LS6 PCV conversion. My car was one of the 25% that came with teh LS6 block. Does this mean my valley cover is the same as the LS6? or does that have nothing to do with it?

No, you still get the LS1 PCV that vents from the valve covers, but it does mean that the LS6 valley plate with the oil separator and PCV connection will fit without the grinding of the lumps on the block that some LS1's need
Old 05-10-2003, 03:45 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

cool. got it all now. however, the car is still under warranty, can i have them fix it? or is it something they're going to tell me is normal?
Old 05-11-2003, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will probably tell you it's normal.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Unless you've got a measurable problem - pinging, smoking or significant oil consumption (and it needs to be really bad to qualify), you'll not be able to get anything done under warranty. And unless it is causing any of those, there's no real need to do anything. Here's a link to a Holden (they import the LS engines for their range) valley plate swap - link
Old 05-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Do the LS6 pcv swap. I just did it on mine last night, you won't even have to cut the block since you already have the LS6 block. Check out jmx's website www.ls1howto.com It's a great site, he'll walk you through the whole thing with his instructions, they are very detailed. In parts I spent a total of $54 bucks (including shipping:gmpartsdirect), here's what you'll need:

LS6 valley cover
plug for the driver's side valve cover
10 inches of fuel line

Check out his site, he has the part numbers and everything! Its an EXCELLENT write up. I have a catch can that I kept inline from the LS6 valley cover to the intake manifold to see if the upgraded pcv system sucks up any oil, if not, i'll remove the catch can. You can do all this yourself in your driveway, it's pretty easy. Good luck!

Matt
Old 05-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Breakfast Fanatic

They will probably tell you it's normal.
that my bet

Search this Thread