Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold borla...now guys says it won't fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sold borla...now guys says it won't fit

I sold a guy my borla catback a couple months ago. Out of the blue today he emails me and says it won't fit. He says it's a foot too short and his mechanic says it's for an LT1. I had this on my 98 Camaro with no fitament issues with stock manifolds or hooker headers and Y. I'm not sure what to do. I always give refunds when the buyer isn't satisfied but it worked on my car. Any ideas??
Old 05-11-2003, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Sold borla...now guys says it won't fit

Look, I understand the interest of being fair and all. I wish more people were as willing to work with other as you seem to be but...in this case I don't feel you owe the buyer anything. Sometimes, you may need to tweak used parts to have them wrok right. Sometimes, you don't. There is a certain bit of responsibility on the buyer here. IMO, he owns it.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you have headers, did you have to shorten the I pipe to get them on? Why not just have him take it to a muffler shop, let them weld in the I pipe section and reimburse him if that's what's needed?
Old 05-11-2003, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I had hooker longtubes with the exhaust and it bolted right up with no shortening. I never gave a thought to just adding a footlong piece of 3" pipe in there. I'll suggest that to him.
Old 05-11-2003, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Did you sell it in the same form that you bought it (i.e. a Borla catback for a 98+ F-body)? If you didn't cut it or modify it in any way, then its just like what he would have gotten had he bought it new, right? If that's the case its not your problem IMO. Your part is as advertised.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my borla used, it came with an extra peice of pipe that itself was about a foot long. I ended up cutting a few inches off that pipe for it to mate up to my FLP y-pipe. I'm not sure whether or not that peice came with the borla originally though.

I too don't think you owe the guy anything. Especially not after a couple of MONTHS.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

if your cut is the problem and you didnt tell him then its on you to make it up to him (IMO). but why after a couple months this guy is up to something imo no one waits months to put their new exaust on i just bought a borla last week and was gonna put it on this weekend but i couldent get access to a lift just seems weird the guy would sit on it for months
Old 05-11-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

If i am not mistaken the LT1 y pipe is shorter so if anything it would be too long. I know when we thought about putting my old loudmouth on my buddies LT1 we were told you need to get some extra adapter pipe or something from SLP which made it longer.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont see what the big deal is, a piece of 3 inch pipe is what a dollar? if the guy has to pay someone to put on his cat-back he shouldnt be complaining about it being shorter.. haha
Old 05-12-2003, 01:16 AM
TECH Regular

I see you have headers, did you have to shorten the I pipe to get them on? Why not just have him take it to a muffler shop, let them weld in the I pipe section and reimburse him if that's what's needed?
I agree with this. It sounds like he just needs some extension pipe, and it should not be expensive at all.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:41 AM
Launching!

if your cut is the problem and you didnt tell him then its on you to make it up to him (IMO). but why after a couple months this guy is up to something imo no one waits months to put their new exaust on i just bought a borla last week and was gonna put it on this weekend but i couldent get access to a lift just seems weird the guy would sit on it for months
I don't see how you could honestly say he's up to something just because he hasn't been able to install it yet. Seriously thats just not right to accuse him of something when you know nothing about him or his situation. My FLPs,SFC's,LCA's have been sitting for over a month now. I hate it but thats how it is for the moment.

I do agree however that if you cut something that caused this, you should step up and take care of it. If he's expecting you to do more than pay for the extra length and maybe 30 min extra install time that wasn't anticipated, then I would assume something is up. The shipping alone would cost more than this fix.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:09 PM
Restricted User

Brad, let him fab up the piece. He may have a different manifold/ headers and a Y pipe that is causing the problem. It's not like the thing was all hacked up and bent. He can exert a little effort and put a little piece of pipe in...
Old 05-13-2003, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

The exhaust was the full catback as I bought it with no cuts anywhere. I can understand not getting it installed right away as I have plenty of parts setting here that I gathered all winter. I just hate being a bad guy and saying you bought it...it's yours but I think that's what I have to do.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, on mine, the borla I pipe is about 1 foot too short for anything. i dont know if it was just certain cars, or certain catbacks, but ive heard that between some 98's and borla, they come up just at a foot short. hope this helps
Old 05-14-2003, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man, that is such an easy fix that I can not understand why the guy would even bother you. Some people just have no ability to adapt to the situation. I wouldn't hook him up with anything.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps HE has a modified Y pipe.Is he putting it on an LS1 car?