Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

duals on stock manifolds? no one has done it? why

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default duals on stock manifolds? no one has done it? why

i really prefer not to get headers (dont ask why..i have reasons) ...and most places i have talked to say that they only do it if you have headers. i am about to make my own. why cant you do it on stock manifolds. thats my question. anyone?
Old 05-17-2003, 02:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: duals on stock manifolds? no one has done it? why

because man...that just weird...that and it's probably close to impossible to rebolt or custom fab stuff way up there under the engine like that. with headers they come down far enough so you can at least see them.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

genic,
Interesting thought.If a guy could use mandrel bent pipe,that would be cool.I like your idea,i don't how feasable it would be though.I know our cars are fast even without headers.I think i would rather spend money on a stall before headers.

I've often thought how it would look to have chrome side pipes 3" or bigger running the length of the door ...like the 67 vette 427 had.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Headers + Collectors + X-Pipe + True Duals equal maxization of torque and horsepower to my knowledge. Why be against headers, you get more horsepower? Have you considered the shorty headers? I drove 320 miles to get my true duals from Lane's Performance in Dallas and I am glad I did? There are no regrets. Anyway, good luck in you decision process. Cheers.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've thought of this too. I think the 2000+ exhaust manifolds are almost as good as shorty headers. I don't know why an exhaust shop couldn't do it for you. They redue stock exhaust systems all the time with tight bends. Overall, the concept of true duals and an x pipe apply to manifolds just the same as headers.

I say go for it. Be the first one to try it, and then a year from now all of us will be getting x pipes and duals for our stock manifolds.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Just curious, what are your reasons for not getting headers?
Old 05-17-2003, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

I did this on my 2k SS, I had a exhaust shop do my custom X pipe, and the rest of the exhaust..it wasnt to weird or anything..the sound was pretty good..but I have lt's now so im happy
Old 05-18-2003, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

there is nothing "wrong" with doing a true duel setup on stock manifolds...its just that most people want headers anyways so they do it all at once....

I have thought about it at times. Here is an easy way to make everything work. Are you going to use the factory cats or are you going catless?

if using cats,

1) get one of the SLP uncrushed y-pipes and bolt up to the cats (so now you have an exhaust from the engine through the y-pipe)
2) cut the "y" out of the y-pipe so you can replace it with the "x"
3) run pipe back from there

this ensures everything is even and the bends around the tranny will be really nice. If you are going without cats, then get the MAC offroad y-pipe that replaces the cats/factory y-pipe and then treat it the same as the above.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:26 AM
Restricted User

I have True Duals, with stock manifolds, cats into 2 1/2" pipe, w/ 'X' and then bullets under axle and out the back door. Sound, well its the quietest Camaro w/mods at our track. Perfomance-I had a cutout in the I pipe before the axle up-bend which gave me 2mph and dropped a solid 2 tenths. Now with this setup I gained another 1 or 2 mph and dropped another tenth almost 2 maybe. I never have any complaints (or admirers of loud-*** exhaust) on the sound, except "Holy **** you have true duals...no way!" I live in a 8 sppedbump townhouse section and only scrape if i have it loaded with the Hals on a soft setting! Very happy with it and love the surprised look when i roll to a friends house and surprise him by knocking on the door when he didnt hear me pull up.

Charlie.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I love headers.I dream about them at night.The problem is that i don't have an extra $2000. right now.A good set of headers,y-pipe and cats installed is not cheap.

What about dual cutouts....i'll do a search on that one.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a bad idea. Chevy used extrudehoned stock (LT1) manifolds and larger pipes on their last '96 Impala SS show car. LT4 heads, intake and ? cam backed with an M6. It's still touring.

A little grinding to open up the outlets will help flow. You might consider that then extrude honing and maybe even ceramic coating. It'll be up there with header cost, but MUCH quieter than headers.

Use 2-1/2 downpipes, even it they have to be swaged down a little to match the manifold outlet. If I were doing it, I'd machine an adapter with a smooth transition which bolted to the manifold and slipped over the 2-1/2 pipe where it could be welded.

More important than the headers or manifolds is the rest of the plumbing; you can choke off way more hp than headers gain if you use the wrong muffler and pipes.

IMO, modified stock manifolds and really free-flowing stuff from there back is the way to go for moderate (450 fwhp maybe) street engines.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

I plan to run 2.5" true duals, with no cats, an X-pipe, and 2 bullet race mufflers. Off of stock manifolds. I wont be able to afford headers for a while, and I want the best sound I can get.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:24 PM
Launching!

I also have true duals with stock manifolds and cats. I ran 2.5" pipe, magnafolw x pipe and two 12" bullet mufflers. There is no problem at all makeing it work. I had a muffler shop build mine. Total cost was $430.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:11 PM
Restricted User

Update, one reason my car may be sooo dayum quiet is that i do not have "dynomax bullets" like i had asked for (after reading all the installs and listening to them on here, thats what i wanted) but i have "Blue Streak" bullets-nice fitment, pretty dayum quiet havent got any louder since install!

BTW, just ordered Jet-Hots this morning, cant wait. will post back dyno results compared to current set-up.

Charlie.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

I love headers.I dream about them at night.The problem is that i don't have an extra $2000. right now.A good set of headers,y-pipe and cats installed is not cheap.

What about dual cutouts....i'll do a search on that one.
2K, wtf? $ is holding me back, but can't you get black Hooker LTs for around 450? not sure about hooking them up though?
Old 05-21-2003, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. Like someone said already said, but an aftermarket y-pipe that bolts to the stock manifolds and modify it. If you have access to a welder for free, you can have all of this done for probably ~$300 for no-cat pipe or ~$500 for cats and pipes. Speed Inc. sells the y-pipes from MAC and you can get dynomax bullets out of Jegs or Summit for no more $40 and 2.5" pipe is like $10/ft. Thats about what it would cost.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been reading up on the Pacesetter long tubes...$265.00

I tried the web site azls1/lt1.com,didn't have any luck.I could afford headers for that price.