Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtubes +3" True duals + lowering springs = ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longtubes +3" True duals + lowering springs = ???

I've got a concern.. I'm finishing up my head/cam install, and I went to talk to my exhaust shop. Basically, he was a little concerned that the heat MIGHT be a problem with the clearance being so tight under the car with 3" pipe. Anyone having trouble with their setup on a car that WILL see long trips and lots of continuous driving??? floor pans getting hot? carpet melting? etc etc??

Just wanted to make sure I'm not getting myself into trouble.. I know that I'll have a snowballs chance in hell of getting over speed bumps without scraping the longtubes, especially with the SLP lowering springs, but I would like to hear some experiences from the guys with lowered longtube cars with 3" pipe.

Thanks in advance..
Old 05-17-2003, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Longtubes +3

I have the longtubes and 3" pipe - on top of that.. my car have GFX and the Pro-Kit.

I haven't had any "heat" problem nor any type of melting parts or carpet. I've had the setup for about 5 months now...

Put it this way... in long drives.. the car will get more air so I doubt that would cause any problems... more chance of these things happening would be in "stopped" conditions. Normally, If I'm stuck in traffic and I know I'll be there for awhile.. either I shut the car down or I turn the Manual Fans on..
Old 05-18-2003, 10:01 AM
!Dial-up Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had FLPs, 3" true duals and the prokit springs, never had a problem with heat and they were tucked up pretty tight.

Justin
Old 05-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Launching!

ok, thanks for the responses guys, but I have a new question now. Now that we can assume that the heat won't be an issue, what about the clearance from pipes to ground? Can you even THINK about crossing speed bumps or aggressive curbs? I have a kinda mean curb leading up to my driveway and I don't want to tear my headers off in my own front yard! I realize the clearance is going to be reduced, I'm just wondering to what degree.. anyone?
Old 05-19-2003, 03:44 PM
!Dial-up Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headers were not a problem for me as long as you are careful. My turndowns on the true dual scraped everything and I had them pointed out at 45* angle. I eventully got rid of the duals for this reason, and the interior noise. But only had bullet mufflers so you could go with a quiter muffler and be happy I guess.

Justin
Old 05-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Anybody have the FLP's and the Sportline springs. I am buying FLP's in a month or so, but the sportlines are really low. Wondering if I have the clearance for it?

Quick Reply: Longtubes +3" True duals + lowering springs = ???