Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Pulley Pulling My Belt Off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pulley Pulling My Belt Off!!!

So i was changing oil in my car today and I popped my hood and I had a bunch of residue on my motor, so I checked everything out...

The belt is half way off all the other pullies aside from the crank underdrive pulley, which is ASP....

Whats happening, I have the shorter belt that came with the pulley...
Old 08-01-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

You either need a new tensioner, or a "Larry" pulley. The Larry pulley is basically a new tensioner pulley with a raised lip on the front and back. This will prevent your belt from walking.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like your balancer bolt might be backing out.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kcmags
Sounds like your balancer bolt might be backing out.
Thats what I was thinking as well. Did you check to make sure the crank pulley is still lined up with all the others?
Old 08-01-2007, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by agrV8dta
Thats what I was thinking as well. Did you check to make sure the crank pulley is still lined up with all the others?
+3 happened to me last year.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

the crank pulley is farther towards the front of the car!! is that my problem??
Old 08-02-2007, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Did you use a new crank bolt with the new pulley? If you did and torqued it to spec. then you need the "larry" pulley for the tensioner. I had an asp on my old ws6 and it needed the "larry" pulley to stop the belt from walking off.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Formula00
the crank pulley is farther towards the front of the car!! is that my problem??
If it is no longer in line with the rest of the accessory drive, then yes, that is the problem, but you need to figure out why it did it. When I went to take my Powerbond UD pulley off, to my surprise, I found that the bolt was only finger tight (it had backed off), but luckily for me, the pulley hadn't started to walk anywhere.

If you used the old GM bolt to hold the new pulley on, bad idea. People have done it before without issue, but GM made that bolt torque to yield. Yield = failure in the strictest sense of the word (even though the bolt won't look like it has failed). If you did use a new bolt, it needed to be torqued down to whatever spec is called for (something like 70 ft-lbs + 140 degrees of extra turn beyond that). If you used an ARP bolt, that should have been torqued down to 240 ft-lbs (mine was torqued down to 250 ft-lbs).

The original bolt that had decided to back off was installed with an impact wrench...not a great idea to use that tool for a final torque.

Regardless, you need to limit your driving or stop driving your car until that is fixed. No good ever came from a pulley walking off the crank.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

Most likely the crack pulley isn't lined up with the other pulleys, Causing the belt to walk out of the ribs.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been having the same problem this year, since my cam install along with the new ASP pulley!

I replaced the GM bolt with an ARP, my bolt doesnt seem to be lose, but that darn belt kept walking 1/2 off!

I replaced my tensioner with a Katech with the higher walled pulley, fixed the problem.

But, I also replace the 760K6 belt with a slightly longer one 770K6. The recommended shorter one was just too tight on trying to it on/off of the pulley (stock or katech).

Quick Reply: New Pulley Pulling My Belt Off!!!