Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Main Seal Questions =*(

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal Questions =*(

Ok so when i had my exhaust done recently i noticed oil on the transmission and undercarraige of the car. After looking at the usual suspects (filter, drain plug) they were both suprisingly clean so i moved onto rear main seal and it has oil all over the bottom of the connection. Sooo i guess im going to be getting a rear main seal done soon at 40k miles >=-O How much should i expect to pay just for labor at a decent shop. Also where is the best place to order the kit so i dont overpay for parts? I dont have the means where i live right this second to do it myself unfortunately. Thanks in advance everyone!!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it's the rear main seal? I'd snap a couple pics and post them up. I remember reading a post a while back where somebody thought it was the rear seal and it was something else (much smaller problem).
Old 08-03-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say it has oil all over the bottom of the connection. Bottom of what connection? Where the tranny and block come together?

I had to replace mine at 80k and I did the clutch at the same time. The only parts you need is the seal itself. May as well throw a new TC or Clutch in there if you are A4 or M6 as the tranny has to come out anyway.

The way I was sure it was my rear main was jack up the rear end of the car. As it got higher, the tilt of the car caused all the extra oil in the bell housing to come out. Replaced it with the clutch and all fixed.

You can expect to pay as much as it costs to replace a clutch for the rear main. 350 or so probably.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got and have had an oil residue all over the bottom side of my rear diff for years.... never had a problem
Old 08-03-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have drops of oil all over the place in my driveway from the car too and it looks like its coming from where the tranny meets the motor yes. I assume its a rear main but dont have a real good way of getting a picture of it right now. If i can get by a shop sometime and get it on a lift i could get a pic.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:52 PM

If I remember right it was around 3.0 just to R&I the tranny. Add-in another 0.3 or so to replace the seal. So at most it should be no more then 3.5 hours total labor.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Banned

i have oil all over my car to just like urs but mine is coming from the back of the oil pan but it doesn't leak enough for me to change it lol
Old 08-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Banned

if yours isnt bad id just add some oil and keep going
Old 08-04-2007, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its enough to leave ugly drops in my driveway and leave me with sticky oil residue on like half the underside of my car so that alone is reason to fix it. ill check to see if its the oil pan.

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal Questions =*(