Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XS stainless Y-PIPE

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XS stainless Y-PIPE

anyone have pix of the y-pipe up-close? I'd like to see the inner merge
I'm picking these puppies up in a few days and wanted to see what I have to work with.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

I don't have any pics, but I just bought a set of the headers and y... and The y is actually very nice. Don't worry bud, it is a pretty nice piece.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Word. I have the y-pipe in my room. It's shiny. I need to turn it into furniture somehow. Someone PM me with ideas.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

someone else told me its "bong worthy"
Old 08-04-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I smoked, you bet your *** that would be my bong lol.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

the y-pipe blows...the merge is horrible...save ur money and get a custom one with a real merge.
Attached Thumbnails XS stainless Y-PIPE-hpim0147.jpg   XS stainless Y-PIPE-hpim0150.jpg  
Old 08-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

You can grind down that lip on the inside and get it much more opened up. But of course it won't be like a true merge.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for the pic, I really appreciate it
Old 08-05-2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by lgobraves
the y-pipe blows...the merge is horrible...save ur money and get a custom one with a real merge.

Now... please explain how the small lip is going to make a difference? You have 2 3" pipes that merge into ONE 3" pipe. A 3" Y is overkill in the first place.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

I dont understand why anyone would but that y pipe on there car. If you are going to upgrade and do headers to get the engine to breath better why have it slam in to that y merge. It will kill all that power the headers are making. It doesnt matter how pretty and shiny they are. Just like a hot chick that wont put out
Old 08-05-2007, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

You guys look way into this y pipe stuff. That other merge is good for what... maybe 10 hp?!? Come on, its not like you are an all out drag racer and need every little possible bit that you can get. Yall make it seem like this thing is going to kill power, look at the factory piece and then look at this. Its only going to help! And just like country boy said, 3 in pipe is huge, its alot bigger than you think. I thought that the little squished part would hurt the flow, but then when I got the pipe I totally forgot how big three inches actually is. So please actually do research before yall post on here about something that yall obviously know nothing about.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
You guys look way into this y pipe stuff. That other merge is good for what... maybe 10 hp?!? Come on, its not like you are an all out drag racer and need every little possible bit that you can get. Yall make it seem like this thing is going to kill power, look at the factory piece and then look at this. Its only going to help! And just like country boy said, 3 in pipe is huge, its alot bigger than you think. I thought that the little squished part would hurt the flow, but then when I got the pipe I totally forgot how big three inches actually is. So please actually do research before yall post on here about something that yall obviously know nothing about.
us do research? u obviously have never looked into merge technology and the actual gains/sound it will give... hate that raspy sound? look no further then your shitty merged y pipe...
Old 08-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Now... please explain how the small lip is going to make a difference? You have 2 3" pipes that merge into ONE 3" pipe. A 3" Y is overkill in the first place.
That's the problem. You need a bigger pipe after the merge and a smoother merge. Why do it half *** when spending money on headers? So insted of 20hp you get 30hp and no rasp. I'd say it's worth it. 2 3"s into a single 3" is not good for flow and that's a big cause of that rasp from what I've been hearing.

Do you guys recomment a completely new y or should one get that and cut the merge off? I wonder how much a shop would charge for a custom y. What size merge is best? 3.5" or 4"? And then later is it okay for it to come down to 3" to match the catback?
Old 08-05-2007, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Silas2k
us do research? u obviously have never looked into merge technology and the actual gains/sound it will give... hate that raspy sound? look no further then your shitty merged y pipe...

This whole thread is about performance... show me where a street car gained outrageous power from a simple change in a merge. On a bolt on car, or even with one that has a cam, this y pipe is not going to hurt you all that much compared to a merge like the flowmaster one. I know people are all about getting every little bit they can, and if you have the money to have a custom y built or you can dish out close to $400 for a QTP y, then your are obviously not going to go with the xs headers. These are a cheap and very nice product, perfect for the people on a budget. Is there room for improvement.. yes there is, but not everyone can afford it. For me it was a simple choice, pay $550 shipped for stainless steel headers and y pipe, and know that it is not the best out there or I can dish out around $1000 more for a set of QTP or KOOKS headers and one of their y pipes and gain around 10 more hp. That is not a price I am willing to spend.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Order 66
I dont understand why anyone would but that y pipe on there car. If you are going to upgrade and do headers to get the engine to breath better why have it slam in to that y merge. It will kill all that power the headers are making. It doesnt matter how pretty and shiny they are. Just like a hot chick that wont put out
yeah.... Its going to kill all that power! Dont use it...

Please know what youre talking about before you push "Submit"....
Old 08-05-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dom
That's the problem. You need a bigger pipe after the merge and a smoother merge. Why do it half *** when spending money on headers? So insted of 20hp you get 30hp and no rasp. I'd say it's worth it. 2 3"s into a single 3" is not good for flow and that's a big cause of that rasp from what I've been hearing.

Do you guys recomment a completely new y or should one get that and cut the merge off? I wonder how much a shop would charge for a custom y. What size merge is best? 3.5" or 4"? And then later is it okay for it to come down to 3" to match the catback?

99% of all catbacks are 3".

Ive heard the QTP setup with that "awsome merge" and guess what... still got just as much rasp.. No more arguement there. Ive heard true dual setups with rasp... no more arguement again.

I wish I had the cash to do a before and after with 2 Y pipes.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lgobraves
yeah my merge looks equally craptastic. when i do the install in 3 weeks i'll try my best to grind down the inner lip a bit, hopefully that'll help in someway.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ripper415
yeah my merge looks equally craptastic. when i do the install in 3 weeks i'll try my best to grind down the inner lip a bit, hopefully that'll help in someway.

Why would you waste your time doing that?!? Jesus yall really need to read up some on exhaust flow.

TUFAS4U bud this ypipe is an exceptional piece for the price you paid for it, and will flow very nicely. I will have numbers from the car in my sig in about a week and half or so and I will be sure to let everyone know how it does. Especially the XS downer crowd.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
Why would you waste your time doing that?!? Jesus yall really need to read up some on exhaust flow.

TUFAS4U bud this ypipe is an exceptional piece for the price you paid for it, and will flow very nicely. I will have numbers from the car in my sig in about a week and half or so and I will be sure to let everyone know how it does. Especially the XS downer crowd.

Thats another reason I didnt want anything to do with helping my Dad sell this stuff. People want the world for $550 and it freaking STAINLESS STEEL and its a better grade than the other manufactures. Noone ever bitches about their poor grade of stainless, noone ever bitches about Kooks Y and its THE SAME as the XS (the merge). Now QTP has the dreaded "welded together primary"... I just dont have the patients. If you hate it that bad, buy the $1k++ stuff and the guy with the $500 stuff will be pulling the same power with less than 1/2 the cost.

The merge will NOT hurt performance. Grind if you want, but you are wasing your time.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

I think people, myself included, hoped that the y-pipe quality would be on par with that of the headers. The headers are an excellent product. Few here would argue against that.

We are just showing people the product we received and our take on it. I hope that the designers take our feedback of the y-pipe into consideration and include it in their next batch of headers. I would gladly pay ~50 bucks more for a y-pipe that if nothing else looks better to me. If they incorporate these changes into their y-pipe I guarantee you that they will sell more just because it looks better even if there is no performance difference.