Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you port your stock TB?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you port your stock TB?

Yeah, pretty newbish but i can't seem to find any info on the search feature. Anyways, i've heard it's wise to invest in either a new TB or port your own after all your bolt ons. Can i do it in my garage? What are the tools i need? And what EXACTLY does it mean to port it? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah you can do it in your garage with a dremel. It basically just takes a ridge out that restrics airflow. I think people have seen 5 to 8 whp gaines. definitley worth it, did mine awhile ago.

Heres all you need to do it. post number 22. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...5&page=2&pp=20

Last edited by FireSilverLullaby; 08-04-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

So after all is said and done i won't throw a code? Cause the intake seems to be prettty sensitive about that.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FireSilverLullaby
Yeah you can do it in your garage with a dremel. It basically just takes a ridge out that restrics airflow. I think people have seen 5 to 8 whp gaines. definitley worth it, did mine awhile ago.

Heres all you need to do it. post number 22. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...5&page=2&pp=20
that write up is horrible... I just read it and still have no clue what exactly he did
Old 08-04-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrbas
So after all is said and done i won't throw a code? Cause the intake seems to be prettty sensitive about that.
Nope, no codes. I have ported many of them, on my own cars and for alot of other people and never had a problem. Now the corvette throttle body is a little more sensitive because there is no IAC. But anyway I have ported many of them without any issues. Just be very careful not to get down where the blade has to seat or you will have a high idle problem. Also on the throttle bodys that I do I also half the shaft to make it thinner and also polish the inside.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

its really not that hard your just mainly grinding that one ridge in front of the blade away, to smooth out the air flow. and i wouldnt do the epoxy part someone on here had it come loose and get stuck in their intake runner
Old 08-05-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah, personally i didn't feel comfortable w/ that write up. But i get the main idea behind it... still wish there was a child proof write up for me
Old 08-05-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Addict

you really dont have to disassemble anything to port it. i drew a line back near the blade around the inside perimeter....to mark where i didnt want to go past with the tool. i took my dremel and a little grinding wheel and just started grinding at the back on the ridge that sticks out. it will take a while, but just keep at it and you will notice material being removed. you can also remove the lip near the outer edge with little effort. after you have removed all the material you want, get some sandpaper. i started with 60 grit, and did stages of 60,100,150, 300, 600, 900, 2000, steel wool, and finally polished with a dremel polishing wheel. i didnt do the epoxy mod and i wouldnt recommend it unless done by a pro. too many people have had it fall out and cause problems that just arent worth it for the gains you get. id also recommend the bumpstop mod. i dunno if you know what that is but its where u remove(grind) just enough material off the surface that the butterfly hits when you open the blade all the way....until you can open it to where the blade opens a full 90 degrees. i think stock you will notice it will only open probably 80-85 degrees. anyway, i dont have any pics or write ups, but ive done many and its not rocket science. just write yourself out a plan, get your materials and give it a couple days.