Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who knows the additive that replaces coolant??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who knows the additive that replaces coolant??

I have heard of a coolant additive that combines the lubricants and rust-inhibitors of anti-freeze, but allows you to run only water.

The big benefit would be (for those of us living in the south) to greatly increase the efficiency of the cooling system. Since water disperses heat at something like twice the rate of coolant, replacing a 50/50 mixture with straight water would be like gaining a 1/4 of the cooing capacity.

Anybody know what product I'm talking about ?
Old 05-21-2003, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Who knows the additive that replaces coolant??

Redline "Water Wetter"

http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/wwti.htm

Works best mixed with straight water
Old 05-21-2003, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

This is a table off their site, it shows that the freezing point and boiling point is not as good. and the boiling point is a key issue.

"PROPERTY RED LINE SPEC COOLANT A
pH 8.6 7.5 - 11 9.8
Boiling Point @ 15 psig 250°F 265°F (50%)
Freezing Point 31°F -35°F(50%) -35°F
Foaming Height, ml 75 150 50
Color Pink green
Ash, % 0.5 5, max 1 "

see table on boil and frezzeing points.
and this is from the site as well

"For maximum temperature reductions use the most water and the least antifreeze possible to prevent freezing in your climate. Even in summertime the use of air-conditioning can blow freezing air through the heater and cause freezing of the heater core unless approximately 20% antifreeze is used"

IMO stay away unless you are racing only, not for a daily driver or for pleasure.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

Royal Purple has some stuff called Purple Ice that is also ideal for straight water racing applications. You might wanna check that out. http://www.royalpurple.com/prpice/prpice.shtml
Old 05-22-2003, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

i did approx 35 65 mix in my car with redline 2 months ago and though i cant say i noticed anything im sure it helped some see all redline does is prevent corrsion the water is what lowers temps i called them and they said 30\70 mix with their stuff would be good for florida like climates all year long in a daily driven t\a i woulda mixed it more water but when i dumped the radiator it only droped like 1 .25 of the 4 gal of coolant so i did the best i could without draining the block