Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to mount PS cooler with FTRA installed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Where to mount PS cooler with FTRA installed?

I've got a Setrab tranny cooler which I never used with my previous A4/LT1 car. I'd like to use it as a PS cooler for my LS1 car. Setrab says that it's a bit larger physically than what they usually sell for our application, but barring that there aren't any cons.

So the unit is ~13"Wx9"Hx2-3"D. There's a pic of it here. There are mounting brackets on mine, see page 2 bottom left of PDF.

Since I have the FTRA, where can I mount this where it'll get airflow?
Old 05-21-2003, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Where to mount PS cooler with FTRA installed?

Hehe.. you got the code backwards Here's the link: http://www.setrab.com/downloads/en_STD.pdf

I have my B&M 24K mounted like this: http://www.johnbrown.net/wilwaxu/transcooler.html
Old 05-21-2003, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

You have one side attached to the ram air scoop, and the other side attached to some black plastic radiator shrouding...is that right? If so, all my radiator shrouding was removed years ago. It was one of those myths going around that, "Well, if the FRA helps, then removing the other shrouding can't hurt".

I wonder if I have room to mount it vertically against the driver side of the ram air scoop, so that the NPT fittings point towards the fuse relay area. Guess I'll find out :-) Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05-22-2003, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a picture of my SS. On my Formula I don't have it attached to the plactic at all.

One hole/bolt in the air scoop and the small piece of strapping to the bumper bolt. The scoop makes a good attachment point.

I spent about 3 hours finding this location, only word of caution. Cover the condensor with card board first... you don't need a $300 mistake!