Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Question!

Im new here and this question has probably been asked several times before and i apologize but im just looking for some feedback.

I have just purchased a 1998 Pontiac Firebird LS1 the owner i had bought it off of had put a cat back Flowmaster setup on it...

I would like to put on a full exhaust system but i dont want it to be super loud, i like the sound of the flowmaster but im looking for for the performance end of it...if i have to scarifice some sound for performance then i will...I just dont want to get my ***** busted by the state troopers when i take my car out for a ride.

Does or any have a quiet performace setup on their LS1 and what are my options for somehting like that!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Launching!

The hooker catback system is a nice one to get not as loud and it has better flow than the flowmaster.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

You can just get a Hooker muffler (3" in, 2 x 2.5" out) and have an exhaust shop weld it in place of the Flowmaster. (cutting off the flange). It will be much quieter than the FM, and the consensus on this board is that it will flow much better.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A magnaflow muffler or full catback would also be a nice option. I'd steer clear of the loudmouth system though if you're not looking to attract a ton of attention.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

If you like the way it sounds right now, save yourself lots of money and get a cutout. That way you have the sound you like, plus better performance than any catback. Make sure you get an electronic cutout, if you are lazy like me.

Travis
Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 AM
Launching!

It depends, like they said magnaflow and hooker are both affordable and better than that lame flowmaster catback. When you say full exhaust, do you plan on getting headers? If you get Lt's your **** is going to get louder, think about what other mods you have in mind further down the road. You can check out ls1sounds.com, or even youtube and streetfire to check out different clips of people's setups.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:22 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have to second the cut-out. Always adds flavor to a setup. Even stock.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I would have to second the cut-out. Always adds flavor to a setup. Even stock.

I agree.