Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why won't my slp lid fit right?! pics

Old 08-14-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why won't my slp lid fit right?! pics

Well when i bought my car I noticed that the SLP lid didn't fit right. All i have to do is pull towards me on the lid with hardly any pressure at all, and the latch will come undone. I say latch (singular) because the one on the left side doesn't ever stay latched. The four tabs that slide in are crooked, as seen in one of the pics. O I almost forgot to mention that anytime I goto WOT while driving the lid just comes unlatched. Is that a Fernco bellow that I have or is that the SLP. Any help is appreciated, its driving me crazy.
Attached Thumbnails Why won't my slp lid fit right?! pics-filter.jpg   Why won't my slp lid fit right?! pics-crooked.jpg   Why won't my slp lid fit right?! pics-bellow.jpg  
Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same prob. After I put poly motor mounts in the thing stays togather well.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

put a paper filter in there! the k&n sits lower and will not seal with the slp lid. I put a fram filter in and it worked great!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by heavy6.0
put a paper filter in there! the k&n sits lower and will not seal with the slp lid. I put a fram filter in and it worked great!

It's the stupid, ultimately useless fernco piece. Get rid of it! The fernco mod does nothing. All it does is crack lids and cause fitment issues. The lid is popping loose at WOT because the stock bellows allows for motor flex, but the fernco piece does not. Instead of flexing at WOT when the motor buckles, it's yanking on the fernco piece which is in turn yanking your lid off because it's so rigid. Put the stock bellows back on and the lid will fit perfectly. And you won't lose any horsepower, since the fernco mod/smooth bellows is a bigger scam than the Turbonator

Sorry, I just hate that 'mod' soooo much
Old 08-14-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

It's the stupid, ultimately useless fernco piece. Get rid of it! The fernco mod does nothing. All it does is crack lids and cause fitment issues. The lid is popping loose at WOT because the stock bellows allows for motor flex, but the fernco piece does not. Instead of flexing at WOT when the motor buckles, it's yanking on the fernco piece which is in turn yanking your lid off because it's so rigid. Put the stock bellows back on and the lid will fit perfectly. And you won't lose any horsepower, since the fernco mod/smooth bellows is a bigger scam than the Turbonator

Thats not a 'fernco'. That's a smooth bellow and mine does the same thing.

OP, I wouldnt worry about it. The lid looks as if it doesnt seal, but start your car and put your hand right next to that area and you will not feel anything. If its popping off at WOT, make sure the lid is INSIDE of the lower lip not OVER it as that will cause it to fit loosely. As I said, mine does the same thing in the same area, but it SEALS. Dont worry about anything.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah i have the stock bellow and mine still comes undone all the time. gues its just the motor mounts. i just dont worry about it, but clip it in everytime i pop the hood.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mines the same way. The left clip seems to unlatch but I just latch it again when I pop the hood open.

Mike
Old 08-14-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by krobinson123
Well when i bought my car I noticed that the SLP lid didn't fit right. All i have to do is pull towards me on the lid with hardly any pressure at all, and the latch will come undone. I say latch (singular) because the one on the left side doesn't ever stay latched. The four tabs that slide in are crooked, as seen in one of the pics. O I almost forgot to mention that anytime I goto WOT while driving the lid just comes unlatched. Is that a Fernco bellow that I have or is that the SLP. Any help is appreciated, its driving me crazy.

On pic 3 your missing the metal hose clamp around the lid (like the one around the TB).Put one on and push the lid all the way into the MAF and if you have a stock MAF there is a notch on it, you will have to cut out the same notch on the lid so it fits flush ,then tighten the metal hose clamp. That will push the lid back far enough to the clips on the front will hold it down

My did the same thing

Last edited by 5301113; 08-14-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-14-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default ddd

It's amazing how much we'll pay for a piece of plastic. SLP must rake in the profits on lids.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is the pic of the lid latched in the front ? the lip on the front doesnt go over the base it tucks in .
Old 08-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Same prob here, my cracked and had to be glued.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

you need to go buy a fram paper filter and it will fit great. Just make sure you have the lid installed properly with the top front part of the lid inside the bottom part.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:30 PM
14 Second Truck Club

You do need the notch on the lid for the MAF also, aside from everything else already said the notch will help it fit better.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You do still have the plastic tray underneath, right? That takes
up the slack and even stock lids don't fit right without it. You
could perhaps get some foam weatherstrip and put it around the
lip of said tray, to get a little more crush room and a better "keep".
Under the filter, not on top or attached to the lid; wouldn't want
to suck up a chunk of that.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

X2 and well said.Bellows are ****.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

looks like te lid is not on the maf all the way.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also you can try taking a set of pliers and squeeze the two metal tabs in the front of the lid to arch them so they got more tension and hold lid down better. It worked for me.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KRAZY K 2000 TA
where is the pic of the lid latched in the front ? the lip on the front doesnt go over the base it tucks in .
Have you checked what he is saying here? I didnt know this at first and it made one of the clips pop off after a short drive. That front lip that you would think overhangs the filter tray...actually gets pushed back and slips behind the filter tray lip. You might even have to push it back pretty hard to get it all to slip in there at first. Try this if you already havent. Its what it sounds like to me.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cobrakiller221
you need to go buy a fram paper filter and it will fit great. Just make sure you have the lid installed properly with the top front part of the lid inside the bottom part.
UH, YEAH I was listening and reading too
Old 08-14-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you just have to beat it alittle bit with the palm of your hand to get it to snap in where its spose to be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why won't my slp lid fit right?! pics