Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help quiet down true duals.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help quiet down true duals.

I just finished my 413 ci LS2 project in my 2000 Camaro. For exhaust I am running a set of 1 7/8'' primary kooks race headers, and I have a set of moroso spiral flows clamped to the collectors. It sounds really mean, but it is crazy loud (Im glad I didn't use bullets). Anyway, I like to be able to take the car on the street once or twice a week, but the exhaust is just a bit too loud. What would you recomend for adding to tame the exhaust down a little. I dont want to kill tons of power by adding some really restrictive mufflers. Would adding a single small bullet to each side before the moroso's nock the noise level down? I dont mind drone or rasp, but I dont want to attract the attention of every police officer around me.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

So you have the mufflers clamped straight on to the headers? If that is the case then get a good x or h-pipe setup that goes to the rear axle.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

What he said above, but in addition to that, you might want to look into a real muffler, like FM one chambers, Hookers, something like that...
Old 08-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Launching!

I believe the best placement for a muffler to quiet down the exhaust is at the farthest portion of the exhaust. The exhaust pulses I assume travel much faster right at the collector whereas just befor the exhaust stops the pulses have slowed down and are easier to absorb into the muffler to silence the sound. I was in the same boat as you with my TD, so I went to walmart or some place and bought a few types of mufflers and instaled them only with clamps and gave them some testing to see what I liked, and the only thing that quieted them down were the cherrry bomb thrush mufflers and the smaller sized standard oval muffler. I eventually installed dual cutouts and went with both of these types of mufflers, this way I could have loud and quiet-plus I couldn't stand the drone. The bullets are still pretty loud-to loud for my tastes, thus the reason I went with the cherry bomb mufflers which are the same as bullets but longer and more packing. Its hard to know how quiet you want it to be cause some people love those single bullets by themselves, so maybe they will be enough . I'd check around to some local speed shops and see if you can try some out for a day, I'm sure most places will let you exchange them.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

Default thanks

Thanks for the ideas guys. Do you really think that by adding an X or H pipe before the mufflers will quiet the exhaust down considerably. The problem with my setup is that I am running a UMI chassis mounted torque arm that gets in the way of any xpipe setup I could think of fabricating. I might just have to do what d james mentioned and see if I can try out several types of mufflers, and see what sounds the best for my taste.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastGBcamaro
Thanks for the ideas guys. Do you really think that by adding an X or H pipe before the mufflers will quiet the exhaust down considerably. The problem with my setup is that I am running a UMI chassis mounted torque arm that gets in the way of any xpipe setup I could think of fabricating. I might just have to do what d james mentioned and see if I can try out several types of mufflers, and see what sounds the best for my taste.
I have an LT's, X-pipe, through sweet thunder mufflers, that dump at the rear axle and at idle it's not very loud at idle but really opens up when you hit the throttle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help quiet down true duals.