Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT's installed, funny smell (not gas) and possible problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT's installed, funny smell (not gas) and possible problem

I'm running ss autochrome lt's + ory and a borla catback.

I've only run the car for about 5 or 6 minutes and it has more of a burning rubber smell to the exhaust. I didn't know if it's just burning off whatever debris might be inside the pipes or what. There's no gas smell really

Although upon first start up I found out there were still some packing peanutts in the exhaust

Another question or problem is that the boot on one of my spark plugs ( #3 I believe ) is touching the headers. It's the rubber not the metal cover. What should I do to fix this?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

time to replace your spark plug wires. rubber coming into contact with hot metal is burning your wires, thus the burning rubber smell you have noticed...

if you dont replace then the wire could melt through and you could arc your spark to your headers and be running on 7 cylinders or less (it would run really crappy)...
Old 08-16-2007, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
time to replace your spark plug wires. rubber coming into contact with hot metal is burning your wires, thus the burning rubber smell you have noticed...

if you dont replace then the wire could melt through and you could arc your spark to your headers and be running on 7 cylinders or less (it would run really crappy)...
The burning rubber smell was coming out of the exhaust, so it would not be possible for that to be the problem. I'm pretty sure it was just burning manufacturing debris out. Plus there wasn't a burning smell coming from the engine bay. (nor was the boot melting at this point in time)

I have found a temp fix and will be getting new wires soon
Old 08-16-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the wires were burning it would be pretty easy to tell.

5 minutes isn't very long, sometimes it takes a couple heat cyles to burn off all the grease, penerating lube, etc from the install.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:10 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grifter
If the wires were burning it would be pretty easy to tell.

5 minutes isn't very long, sometimes it takes a couple heat cyles to burn off all the grease, penerating lube, etc from the install.
Agreed .. it's probably the "new" cooking off. Not much to worry about .. a good 30 min. run around town should clean that up nicely

Def. want to get your wires off the header though. Not sure 5/6 minutes would heat the header enough to cook a plug wire.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might be able to wrap that spot with some exhaust wrap too.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dang..i must have some pretty good plug wires...one has been sitting on the header since i installed lts in march...might want to check that out lol
Old 08-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Grifter
You might be able to wrap that spot with some exhaust wrap too.
I'm doing that for a temp fix
Old 08-17-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a FYI for those running LT's and running into problems w/ the plug wires touching one of the primaries. I burnt through a couple plug wires before realizing I could do this as a fix.

MSD wires are actually flexible and bendable and you can basically force them out of the way and take whatever shape you want. I had a problem with #3 and I believe #8 getting closer than I wanted so I took them off, bent them a little, and no more issues. Not even close to the primaries and running perfectly now.