Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

egr plug mishap!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question egr plug mishap!

dont know what forum to post this so feel free to move.....well i got my car tuned about 3 weeks ago from my cam install, car was running great. Yesterday i changed my oil and was looking around the car, i noticied that the plug i have on my egr wasnt seated properly and there was a gap to where you could seein the intake, So i fixed the problem and now my car has hard starts and doesnt idle right and when i first start driving it sometimes feels like i have no power when i accelerate, then the rpms will kick to about 2k and then down to almost nothing. It does this about 2 or 3 times then it will start to drive right. So i was wondering if it was the unmetered air coming in that affected my tune, so when i fixed it, the tune was thrown off... any ideas especially on the rpm surging..any help would be awesome
Old 08-16-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

My guess is that when you fixed the leak you cut off air that was going into the intake. Your car was tuned to account for the air from the leak. Now that its not there the computer thinks it isnt getting the ammount of air it should.

Its like if your maf was measuring 2 units of air your car and tune was accounting for 2+1 units that were auctually going into the car from the leak. Now that the leaks gone its only getting the 2 units so the car thinks its being choaked. I could be wrong, but thats seems like what it is. I think all you need is a quick alteration to your tune.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

thats what i was hoping.. you think its the same for the surging when i barely start driving??
Old 08-16-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

I dont know. If all you did was change the oil and fix the plug and thats exactly when it started, Im guessing thats what it would have to be. If a retune doesnt work then you know youve got something else goin on. Just a thought though, are you sure that none of the old plug broke off and fell into the intake?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think DropTop hit it on the head...when they tuned it they probably didn't see that there was a leak there and so it was tuned with the extra air that was coming in through that opening. A re-tune should fix it.