Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition or starter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:29 AM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition or starter?

Hey guys,

I've always had a problem starting my car ever since I bought it (at 51k miles). I'll sit down when it's cold, try to start it, and just let it crank until kingdom come, and it won't start. On the second try, it'll fire right up. Every once in a blue moon, when I turn the key from Start back to On when I've given up on that first try, it'll fire a couple times and actually start. This tells me that I had an ignition problem and was getting no spark while the starter was cranking.

Yesterday, the problem changed. I went out to the car, tried to start it, and it fired right up (which it does sometimes). When the engine started, I heard this aweful noise that sounded like my motor was shelled. I turned the key to Off, the engine quit, but the starter kept cranking. Shocked, I pulled the key out of the ignition, and it stopped. So, I tried again, and it started without issue. I shrugged my shoulders and drove on. The next time I tried to start it, it did the same thing. I pulled the key out, and the starter stopped. I started it again, and it fired up without a problem. Then, on the way home, the starter actually tried to engage while I was driving! I pressed the clutch in and was going to get off the highway, but it stopped again.

Now, I'm fairly certain this is an ignition problem, but I wanted to run it by you guys and see if anyone has had the same experience. If so, do you guys know what I'm in for as far as cost? Can I buy a new ignition and put it in myself, or does this require tools I can't get my hands on?

TIA for any info, guys.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:37 PM
11Second Club

Bumpity?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn... maybe a sticky relay somewhere? Thats ridiculous. I never heard of this happening before...
Old 08-17-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea that is crazy. Especially the part when it tried to engage when you were driving.

I'd look into a relay also.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Restricted User

could be a relay but with your starter solenoid being engaged when your engine cranks up and the key is in the run position it may be a sticking solenoid. Go from least expensive fix and work your way up man. Give your starter a few good wacks with a dead blow in case your solenoid's sticking
Old 08-18-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I think there are relays in the fuse box under the hood. I had my fuel pump relay sticking on me before and it drove me nuts. I spent $400 replacing stuff and in the end it was a $13 relay. I think they are labeled on the lid.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:51 PM
11Second Club

I found it, and it was my fault. When we rebuilt my engine last year we reconnected the starter wires with too many tangles and too little slack. Due to the lack of slack, the ring eye (that's my dad's term, but he's an electrician, so it must be used by someone) from one of the wires ate a hole in the jacket of the other wire. So, the starter was grounding somehow. I pulled the starter, taped up the wire, reconnected everything without slack, and the problem hasn't occurred since.

On an interesting side note, I learned a VERY, VERY valuable lesson during all this. I pulled the car up on ramps and slid under the car with a flashlight to take a look. I went to pull a wire out of the way to get a better view, and the starter began to crank while I was under the car. Not only this, but I had left the car in 1st gear as I usually do, so the car started to move forward while I was under it! Thank goodness that I had a couple boards wedged between the ramps and the wall (so the ramps don't slide while I pull the car up on them) and the parking brake set. If not, then I don't think I'd be here posting this. One of those two boards shot up so it was no longer holding the ramp and the other snapped! One of the front wheels had climbed so far up on the stop at the end of the ramp that the back of the ramp was being held up off the ground. Fortunately, the starter gave up after a couple seconds, and I flew out from under that car. The car ended up moving forward about 5 inches after popping the one board loose and breaking the other one.

The lesson learned? Disconnect the battery before doing anything, EVERY time. I've been shocked before, but that didn't teach me. This did!

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Launching!

wow that sucks man, glad your still here though. I had that happen once. Only I was reconnecting the battery after changing a starter, and the main power wire was grounded on the case by that little tab (wasnt paying attention when I was putting it back on). And when I put the battery cable on it just about ran me over.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn dude, I would have shat myself...
Old 08-20-2007, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Default battery

weve all done something like this before changing alt's starters why dont we just disconect the battery and be safe from the start lol
Old 08-20-2007, 08:56 AM
11Second Club

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Damn dude, I would have shat myself...
I think I might have.