Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New exhaust sounds nothing like I had hoped

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New exhaust sounds nothing like I had hoped

Ok so I have xs headers and ory + borla cat back (adj). I got the catback used and it only came with the fully open piece.

It sounds really choppy and almost like a truck with glass packs or something.
I'm guessing this can all be fixed if I seal off the right pipe seeing as I'm pretty much running the exhaust without a muffler.
It just resonates really really ruff

Could I order the adj pieces from borla? And also would this solve my problem?
Old 08-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudvayne
That depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. You said that you didn't like the sound of Borla with an open plate...but what sound do you like? What kind of tone are you looking for? I can tell you that if you want any kind of sophisticated, clean sounding tone, an ORY isn't for you.

Tell us what you're looking for and we'll take it from there
Old 08-19-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

get the adj electric cutout that goes inplace of the plates....bad *** and only reason i would ever think about owning a borla
Old 08-19-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i love the non catted lt-borla combo sound.. real screamer

my friend has this set up.. if you think that sound likes an truck listen to a car with lt's non catted Y and loudmouh..
Old 08-19-2007, 07:47 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudvayne
Do not know. Can you make a blockoff plate yourself? If a full blockoff plate ends up being to tame, you can bore it out to adjust the sound.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

the electric cutout in place of the adj. plates sounds like a cool idea. i'd say if your going to keep the borla and want to fix the rasp, then put some cats in the Y. you have any sound clips?
Old 08-19-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
That depends on what kind of sound you're looking for. You said that you didn't like the sound of Borla with an open plate...but what sound do you like? What kind of tone are you looking for? I can tell you that if you want any kind of sophisticated, clean sounding tone, an ORY isn't for you.

Tell us what you're looking for and we'll take it from there
thats not true. the slp dual/dual sounds great with an ory. also a bullet muffler in the i pipe + the closed plate and the borla would prolly sound good.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by wowsers
thats not true. the slp dual/dual sounds great with an ory.
Yea, if you can hear it. And if you can actually find the catback since it's been out of production for a year...

also a bullet muffler in the i pipe + the closed plate and the borla would prolly sound good.
A bullet muffler to combat rasp is like patching a bullet wound with a band aid.

In my humble opinion, the Borla catback is one of the worst sounding catbacks for the f-body, if not the worst sounding catback. To the OP: again, what kind of sound are you looking for? Do you want deep? Rumbly? Old school? Exotic? How about loudness level? Loud? Loud as hell? Medium? Mellow/quiet?
Old 08-19-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should have asked around first. Plenty of people would have told you how it would sound. Open Borla with ORY sounds terrible to most people. At this point you can sale the Borla for about 400 bucks if its in good shape and with that money you can buy you a Hooker or SLP dual/dual. Those are the more quiet aftermarket catbacks.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive got all the plates except for the wide open. PM me if your interested.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Full-Force
You should have asked around first. Plenty of people would have told you how it would sound. Open Borla with ORY sounds terrible to most people. At this point you can sale the Borla for about 400 bucks if its in good shape and with that money you can buy you a Hooker or SLP dual/dual. Those are the more quiet aftermarket catbacks.
I've heard sound clips of borla + ory + lt's I just never bothered to check the plates they were running
Old 08-20-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

dude, i had soundclips of my xs lt's ORY and open borla everywhere. with the clsoed plate I think you will like it a lot more. I enjoyed the raw raspy sound of the open plate, but everyone is different
Old 08-20-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Yea, if you can hear it. And if you can actually find the catback since it's been out of production for a year...

A bullet muffler to combat rasp is like patching a bullet wound with a band aid.

In my humble opinion, the Borla catback is one of the worst sounding catbacks for the f-body, if not the worst sounding catback. To the OP: again, what kind of sound are you looking for? Do you want deep? Rumbly? Old school? Exotic? How about loudness level? Loud? Loud as hell? Medium? Mellow/quiet?
i was giving him suggestions. the dual/dual exhaust isnt that hard to find. people sell them in the parts for sale quite a bit. it might take some patience but its not like trying to find a CME.

a bullet muffler + borla would sound better than what hes got right now. the corsa isnt much better with lts and my bullet got rid of most of the rasp. there are definitely better options but that would be the most cost effective and he wouldnt have to rip his exhaust off.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tainted
dude, i had soundclips of my xs lt's ORY and open borla everywhere. with the clsoed plate I think you will like it a lot more. I enjoyed the raw raspy sound of the open plate, but everyone is different
It's starting to grow on me, I knew it would raw sounding but it was just a bit more raw than I expected.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

I had pace longtubes, ORY, and open borla before. I know how it sounds and it does sound awful in the lower-mid rpms. Mean at WOT though. What I did was I took some sheet metal and traced a template onto it and made my own closed plate. I thought it sounded pretty good with all the exhaust going through the muffler. If your not into fabbing your own **** up then you can order a plate kit direct from borla for like 52 bucks or something like that.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was giving him suggestions. the dual/dual exhaust isnt that hard to find. people sell them in the parts for sale quite a bit. it might take some patience but its not like trying to find a CME.

a bullet muffler + borla would sound better than what hes got right now. the corsa isnt much better with lts and my bullet got rid of most of the rasp. there are definitely better options but that would be the most cost effective and he wouldnt have to rip his exhaust off.
I agree with "wowsers" about the SLP dual/dual. I love mine, with QTP LTs & 3" ORY it sounds great. Has a nice bark when you hammer it and is loud enough to hear for sure, but not so loud that every cop around will hear you. Yes, the dual/dual can be found still, I see them pop up for sale fairly regulaly.

The dual/dual also flows very well, and will only give up a few hp to the most free flowing exhausts, or cutouts. Check out what "Patrick G" is running on his 500+ rwhp T/A.