Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XS headers and y pipe review

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default XS headers and y pipe review

Well guys, I posted awhile ago that I was a hardcore QTP man but when I saw the price of the XS headers and y, I just had to try them out. Well when I first recieved them, they were packaged very nicely, no way they could get damaged in shipping unless something VERY BIG was dropped onto them lol.
But when I opened the package I was impressed once again with the look and overall design of the headers and y pipe. Very clean and great welds.
Now, I didn't install them like I planned on doing (long story short ran into a puddle put two wholes in the block, insurance covered it and had a local sponsor HPMOTORSPORTS do the work) but Jason did, the owner of HPMOTORSPORTS, and he had no issues with installing them. They did not hit the k-member or anything like that. The only issue that we came across was the drivers side collector being angled to high up and causing the collector to bang on the floor board, but only on certain occasions; not an everytime you get on it or anything like that thing. I think mainly just when I turn the car off or crank her up. Not a big deal to me at all especially for the price.
So overall, I am very pleased with this kit and I HIGHLY reccommend this to anyone who wants a great product for a great price and made in the ! I don't have any pics to really show at the time, but if you request some then I would be happy to take them.
BTW they sound great with the new cam
Old 08-22-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

pics please, I'm installing them soon too!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

What would you like pics of?!?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Launching!

are they really made in the states? if so, that's great. i've heard a couple people say they were made in china...i hope they are wrong.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Yea they are made in the state, I believe NC
Old 08-22-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

I have a set, and are awesome...but aren't real stainless it seems. Stainless isn't magnetic....put a pen magnet to your headers and see for yourself...
Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Posts like these make me feel so much better about getting banned way back in the day for promoting these headers. Awesome header, for a price way better than kooks etc.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blueeyeddevil141
I have a set, and are awesome...but aren't real stainless it seems. Stainless isn't magnetic....put a pen magnet to your headers and see for yourself...
stainless can be ferrous...all depends on the amount of nickel
Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Furious_George
stainless can be ferrous...all depends on the amount of nickel
Didn't not know that, I guess these are nickel plated, hence them having the shinniest coating ever and the whole...magnetic thing?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Banned

The are real stainless. Look at unpainted ones after months of use, they are golden colored, no rust or corrosion.

They are made of 321 aircraft grade stainless steel, in fact. It is supposed to be better than both T304 and 409.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:17 AM
TECH Resident

who sells xs headers here?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:46 AM
11 Second Club

Yea bud, hey are a different type of stainless, not the same that QTP uses. And yea the golden color once they get used is a dead give away that they are stainless.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just installed mine also. I ended up shaving a small amount off the k member just for piece of mind. The headers cleared it but I didnt want it to rub. I also had the problem of the drivers side collector pointing a little to high. What we did was make pie cut in the collector right next to the O2 bung then bend the pipe down about a 1/2 in and tig welded it back together. it clears but I am still having a slight viberation problem. I will be replacing my LM1 muffler with a magnaflow muffler. Hopefully it will fix the majority of this problem.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by texinteg
I ended up shaving a small amount off the k member just for piece of mind. I also had the problem of the drivers side collector pointing a little to high. What we did was make pie cut in the collector right next to the O2 bung then bend the pipe down about a 1/2 in and tig welded it back together.
On the ds, we had to grind a bunch off the k-member, cut the wedge in the collector and bend and weld it, elongate the rearmost bolt hole, and dimple a primary that was sitting on the motor mount pedestal. The header slid right into place, but getting it bolted up and dealing with vibration issues was prolonged process. It took several weeks of dealing with it on and off to get it all right. Ps was no problem.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

I just finished installing this same setup this weekend. The only fitment issues I had were the driver side rear bolt hole on the flange didn't line up, so I had to do what I didn't want to, I cross-threaded the hole and shimmed up the bolt to make it tight........I have Stage 8 locking nuts, so I'm not worried about it coming lose.

Next issue is with the y-pipe, which I was dissapointed with. The driver side connection was too small to slide onto the header, so I had to use an exhuast expander to get it to fit......and was the same for the rear connection to the stock system, I had to expand the stock exhaust pipe to make it fit as well.

The driver side y-pipe is up against the floorboard in one spot. No problems with the k-memeber or motor mount. I didn't have to cut the tab on the block.

I am very happy with the looks of these. I am disappointed with the amount of rasp, but I think I know how to rememdy this problem, with no cats.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

When I bought these I was expecting to have to do some kind of working with the system just because of the price. But like I said, overall very pleased with it and it sounds like the drivers side header collector is really only the main issue that alot of people seem to be having.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for having to bend the driver side collector,
but that was the only thing
Old 08-23-2007, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Anyone know the thickness of the steel? Is it 16ga or 18ga?
Old 08-23-2007, 01:32 PM
11 Second Club

I don't know, but I do know that the flange its self is alot better than alot of those more high dollar headers.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

pics of the ground clearnce and underbody where the d/s header angles upward would be great