Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Overheats With Ac On @ Hwy Sppeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help: Overheats With Ac On @ Hwy Sppeds

My Brother Just Bought A 2000 V6 Camaro That Was Repaired From A Front Passenger Side Wreck

The Car Will Run Fine Arround Town And In Park But When At Hwy Speeds With The A\c On The Car Very Quickly Overheats

The Odd Thing Is If You Turn Off The A\c Its Fine Or If Your Ideling In Park With The A\c On Its Fine

I Checked The Fans With Hpt And They Seem To Be Working Fine, The Car Has Suffucent Coolant And Holds A Stedt 200 Deg. Temp While Parked

Any Ideas??
Old 08-24-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

did the shop put the black air dam thing back on? it's the black thing that runs from side to side of the car right under the bumper
Old 08-24-2007, 04:47 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reject
did the shop put the black air dam thing back on? it's the black thing that runs from side to side of the car right under the bumper
Exactly as reject mentioned...That air dam helps to direct air and is much more important than many people think.

If there is plenty coolant,fans are operating as they should and the air dam is in place,I would maybe suspect the T-stat??

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2007, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

Ditto on the air dam. I think I paid $25 for mine at the local Chevy dealership, so they aren't expensive...even through GM.

Galen
Old 08-24-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

air dam is ok, t-stat open fine at idle so i dont see why it wouldent work on the hwy
Old 08-24-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

is it possible to reverse the polatiry of the fans and make them be pusher's instead of pullers? i'd try to see what direction the the air flow is being moved around.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:33 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for debris caught up by the radiator...You can be surprised how much stuff you will find once you pull stuff out of the way and get in there..Leaves,newspapers,plastic bags....etc
Old 08-24-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Good Thoughts.. Im Gonna Give These A Try But Keep Em Comming

Also Being This Only Happens With Ac And Hwy Speed Its Kinda Weird Being I Thought The Fans Actually Turn Off At Hwy Sppeds ?

I Was Thinking A Slipping Belt? But It Done Really Sound Right
Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

anytime the a/c compressor is engaged and the pressures are high enough both high fans should be running. Does it overheat with the a/c on at idle?? Possible restricted condenser. Does it blow cold air from vents??? Get a a/c gauge set and see what your pressures are at idle,2500 rpm and going down the road. If the air dam is missing the condenser wont get enough airflow at hiway speeds to keep pressures in check. Although this problem typicaly does not cause the engine to overheat just the a/c to blow the relief valve. Just a stab in the dark.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

slept on it last nite and remembered a car that came into the shop a few years ago. it had a cracked head. replaced the head drove it and it overheated, but i could run this thing in the shop for hours at idle and at higher rpm and never have an issue. whenever you took it on the highway it would get hot. found mineral deposits in the radiator. if your shop replaced the radiator with a used one that could be the culprit.