Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP lid fitment issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default SLP lid fitment issues?

Does anyone elses SLP lid fit like crap? I ordered the SLP lid, filter setup and bellows...I can't get any of it to fit right. The rear of the lid right near the transition from the MAF to the filter has some stress marks (the plastic turned white from stress) and the passenger side clip keeps popping off. I only installed it yesterday, and I tried to locate it exactly the same as the stock lid was located...I can't seem to make it right and it's making me really really mad...the stock lid fit WAY WAY better.

What should I do?
Old 08-24-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone who has this lid has had basically the same problem, myself included. What you need to do is make sure all four of the tabs are seated in the back of the airbox. This may require some force but be careful as to not break them off. The lid might not sit right and will most likely rub the underside of the top of the radiator. You'll see what Im talking about when at this stage. Then after that is complete, you'll need to push the lid back towards the engine and in the middle of the two tabs, push down so your bottom air box is actually infront of the lid. Then close the tabs. The outside of the lid should be seated over the bottom air box, while the center between the tabs should be seated behind the box. It will look weird but it works, mine has never popped off since. My lid however is rubbing the bottom of my hood in one spot but SLP claims to have re-formed theirs lids to avoid this. Hopefully this helps, but Let me see if I can get a pick for you.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now if you look between the tabs on my airbox below, you'll see how the lid is seated down and behind the bottom lip. This is how yours should be. Also, you can see where my lid is rubbing on my hood in the blemish. Hope this helps you!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

From my experiences its not the SLP lid its the bellow. I trimmed mine down a little bit and that seemed to take care of the fitment problems
Old 08-24-2007, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

I'll have to try stuffing it on like that tomorrow...so to clarify, the lid is inside the lower airbox in front, but it's outside of it in back by the MAF?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Launching!

I've had the SLP lid for about 6 years with no problems. You just have to make sure the rear tabs are in before you close it and clamp down the front.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Thats why I'm mad...they are in. I can't see whats going on under the backside of the lid (roomates car is in the garage and there's not enough light outside, and the drop light won't reach)...I'll figure it out tomorrow...seems like something is holding it up though.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

SLP Lid on my car. Its a little closer up pic than the previous one. I hope this helps.

My driver's side clip kept popping open and I found out I didn't have it installed correctly. The lip between the two clips needs to be seated inside the front of the air box base.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what filter?

alot of the hi-flow cottens filters, are not the right size.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

It's the filter SLP said to use with the lid. I will go try putting the paper filter back in and seeing if it fits better.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
From my experiences its not the SLP lid its the bellow. I trimmed mine down a little bit and that seemed to take care of the fitment problems
You were correct, I went and checked everything else, then I tried installing the lid with no bellow and it all fit perfectly, I can tell it's sealing to the filter quite well even. So I trimmed about 1/8" off the bellow on the MAF side and now it all fits great. I thought that ordering the whole package from SLP would have meant it'd just work...guess every car is different though. I went out and hit a few hard high RPM shifts and everything I could think of that could cause a clip to pop free and they're not moving now.

Thanks for all the help everyone.