Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Y-Pipe Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP Y-Pipe Problems

From the day I got my Pacesetter longtubes and ditched the cats for a TSP off-road Y, I have regreted it. I thought this was supposed to be a great Y for these headers, but I guess I should have done my homework. At a low rpm punch, it feels almost as if the car is out of timing it pops and vibrates so bad. After a second it cleans up though, but it sucks. Is this bad jarring feeling normal? It only did this after I got the full exhaust installed and still does it even after a good dyno tune. I have heard a lot of god things about a setup where the second part of the Y goes in at a better angle (as opposed to TSP's almost 90 degree) and then is stepped up to a 4" with a 4" cutout and then back down into the 3" catback. I allready have a cutout by the way and the jarring is not near as bad when it is opend. Does anyone think this new kind of Y setup will cure these embarrasing hichups.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got a tune after you installed the LT's & y pipe and you aren't running right, you need to take it back to the tuner.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was having this problem before and after the tune. If the Y-pipe is to blame, the tune can't fix that.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

i have never heard of a Y pipe being the culprit of a mechanical problem....how are the clearences from the Y pipe to the bottom of the car.....maybe its hitting the bottom of the car and just needs adjusted...i have mac midlength headers and ORY with NO TUNE and my car runs just like it did off the showroom floor..only a little rich
Old 08-29-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, that might be the problem, its like a banging jolt from inderneath the car when punching it from a dead stop. Why is it not as bad with the cutout open though.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is almost definitely what it is. Floorboard clearance is a very well-known problem with a lot of the aftermarket y-pipes. People have a few different solutions, such as poly-motor mounts or bump stops (do a search on both) that they'll each swear by, but there doesn't seem to be a guaranteed solution. You'll just have to try out different ideas. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah my tsp y-pipe hits too. mine hits at the corner of of the tranny crossmember. if i had a close buyer for my new gmmg and the tsp y-pipe then i would have true duals.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Why is it not as bad with the cutout open though.
It probably still is just as bad, you just can't hear it. I have duals dumped and at WOT you can't here nothing.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have taken mine off 3 times to fix it from banging on the floor board and on the corner of the trans crossmember. My car sits low so I couldn't just adjust it down either. So yesterday I took it off again and put it in a large vise and "oval shaped" it on the drivers side under the seat, and put a small dent in it to clear the trans crossmember (A4 car). I think it's finally fixed. Unless I bottom it out on something.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Sell your TSP ORY and get a Pacesetter one (pretty much the same price). See my review of the Pacesetter below:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/776002-new-pacesetter-ory-install-review.html