Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mods and gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 02:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default mods and gas mileage

Are there any mods that can actually help your gas mileage? It seems like stuff like air lids/filter/maf would help by reducing restrictions, but a bigger cam and more displacement would hurt gas mileage. Is it the increased lift, duration, overlap, or something else that hurts gas mileage? Also how do other mods like long tube headers and ported heads affect gas mileage? I'm just wondering cause I won't have much money for mods till i graduate college and i need to choose my mods wisely. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: mods and gas mileage

Headers and exhaust make everything more free-flowing, thus increasing fuel economy. A bigger cam, like you said, would hurt.

Just to be simple though, generally the more you put into the engine, the less mileage that you'll get out of it.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anything that LETS more air into or out of the engine will increase mileage. anything that REQUIRES more air to come into or out of the engine will decrease mileage. I got 30MPG regularly with lid, filter, MAF, bellows, FRA, headers, ORP, and a cutout.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How 'bout ported heads. It seems like they'd be less restrictive, but on the other hand they mess with port velocity and stuff. Not that i'd get ported heads before getting a cam, I'm just asking out of curiousity. Nate, i'm assuming you got 356rwhp/366 rwtq while also getting 30 mpg on the highway? If so that's pretty impressive.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yup, going on 350 mile round trips from Tulsa to Norman I'd get 29-30 MPG every time cruising at 85-90. In town I got about 14-15 MPG though... heavy foot.