Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Mount Q.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Mount Q.

Ok, so i have this

And this

Now i'm guessing these mounts were made for the f-body style ls1 mounts (of which there arent any/many in Aus).

Will SBC mounts fit? or should i grab some poly ones from the US?

Also, if i ordered some poly mounts from the US, will everything else i need come with it? Some recommendations would be cool, or if anyone has something complete i can buy that'd be cool
Old 09-03-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what that is in the 1st pic. But if I had to guess, it is a frame mount that someone made and that it would connect to the stock LS1 / F-Body engine mount a swap plate/motor mount.

Pic #2 is a vette engine mount that sits on a rubber mount/frame.

Not sure what or where you are going with these pieces.? What are you swapping into ? and what mounts are you trying to piece together ? Check the Sticky for some information on motor mounts.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
Not sure what that is in the 1st pic. But if I had to guess, it is a frame mount that someone made and that it would connect to the stock LS1 / F-Body engine mount a swap plate/motor mount.

Pic #2 is a vette engine mount that sits on a rubber mount/frame.

Not sure what or where you are going with these pieces.? What are you swapping into ? and what mounts are you trying to piece together ? Check the Sticky for some information on motor mounts.
First pic is the engine mount...mount i suppose. It bolts into the chassis, and the engine mount bolts into it.

Chassis -> Lump of metal in pic 1 -> engine mount -> motor.

Ignore the old mount that's on the motor. It's from a commodore (our local ls1 powered car) and uses the round rubber mount.

I bought all this swap gear from the states, we dont have f-body's or anything similar that uses the style engine mounts i need. I just need information on the bits that i'm missing, as described in my first post.

I've read/skimmed through the faq's about it, they seem to be mainly on remove and replace of the mounts. Which isnt much help to someone who never had them in the first place :p

The motor is going into a '86 325e bmw.

Some people may recognise these bits, maybe even the original owner might spot it
Old 09-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Bumping because i know some of you can tell me what engine mounts i need.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, if you buy poly mounts that's all you'll get: the polyurethane.

You would need the "shells" as well, that is, the metal casings that hold the polyurethane to the block.

The first pic is of a pedestal, pretty self explanatory as to how it mounts/is oriented.

In the second pic there is what looks like the mount from a Corvette or something bolted in place where the clamshell should be. I sorta blacked out what you don't need and circled the mount holes the F-body style mounts will use.

I don't think standard SBC mounts will work, but then again I've never actually tried....lol

Old 09-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Hahaha, thanks. Your artistic skills leave a little to be desired though

Are there any online distributors that sell a shell+urethane mount combo at all?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a manager at a Kragen autoparts store and the "normal," i.e. not polyurethane, mounts actually come as you described, all riveted together and what not.

I would find somewhere that has the original rubber mounts, then from those you can get the shell and buy some poly ones to complete the set.

Yeah, it's a convoluted process, but that's the only way I can think of to get the full assembly.....
Old 09-04-2007, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Do you have a GM part # for the mounts handy at the moment?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just noticed that the oil pan is a front slump.. GTO or Holden engine..?

Energy Suspension make both style of poly mount, just go to there web site for more information. Jeg's or Summitracing sells them at a discount online.

S&P has a wide arrange of swap mounting parts, get there catalog or view it online at there web site.

You can also get the older style Poly mount, which doesn't use the clam shell.. You might be able to get some adapter plates (S&P or BRP type, see sticky for template on them), old style poly mount and if those frame mount are the correct width.. just run a bolt and nut. Or modify the "Lump of Metal" by cutting off the U part, and weld a tube in its place for the bolt and nut to hold it together..

Chassis -> Lump of metal in pic 1 -> engine mount -> Adapter Plate -> motor.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:57 AM
Teching In

I just noticed that the oil pan is a front slump.. GTO or Holden engine..?

Yeah it's a holden one.
You can also get the older style Poly mount, which doesn't use the clam shell.. You might be able to get some adapter plates (S&P or BRP type, see sticky for template on them), old style poly mount and if those frame mount are the correct width.. just run a bolt and nut. Or modify the "Lump of Metal" by cutting off the U part, and weld a tube in its place for the bolt and nut to hold it together..

Chassis -> Lump of metal in pic 1 -> engine mount -> Adapter Plate -> motor.
Ahh i see, i wasnt sure if the SBC chev mounts had 3 or 4 holes in them. I just found a guy that does these in Au, they have replaceable urethane inserts which seems pretty nifty.

I'll just have to make sure i get them to mount in the right spot.

Thanks guys
Old 09-04-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Those look pertty trick. Not that you will really have to replace the inserts very offen, unless your a off roader or endurance racer.

You can see the bolt pattern of both S&P and the BRP style Adapter plates in the sticky, Only one of the holes on the SBC style mounts are used on the same bolt hole / boss of the engine, the other two (of the three) has to be bolt on to the adapter plate.

Here are the adapter plates that I made from the template in the sticky. I built them to have both the S&P and BRP bolt pattern (don't worry about the plates on the bottom, they are part of the Energy Suspension motor mounts). I did this to try and see which placement of the engine I wanted to use. I ended up going with the BRP style plates and cut off the extra metal and bolt holes. (due to me wanting to retain the stock LS1 A/C compressor).

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...03_58_full.jpg

Here is the engine sitting in place with the adapter plates, motor mount and frame mounts relocated (tape is being used to mark the new location of the frame mounts)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...03_68_full.jpg

Hope this helps some.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Those look pertty trick. Not that you will really have to replace the inserts very offen, unless your a off roader or endurance racer.
Urethane never ever lasts as long as rubber does, so they'll get changed some time Although i'll probably just knock my own up on the lathe.

You can see the bolt pattern of both S&P and the BRP style Adapter plates in the sticky, Only one of the holes on the SBC style mounts are used on the same bolt hole / boss of the engine, the other two (of the three) has to be bolt on to the adapter plate.
Yep i understand it all I'll just have to make sure the engine sits in exactly the same or nearly the same spot as it would with the f-body mounts, because everything else is already designed around that

Hope this helps some.
It did, thanks

Btw, your chevelle makes me happy in the pants. It's extremely nice

Quick Reply: Engine Mount Q.