Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which catback is the very "best?"

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 02:27 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which catback is the very "best?"

Lightest, best sounding, best flowing, shows most gains, looks the best, etc. I know as far as looks and sound, its all personal preference. I currently have the Loudmouth with FLP longtube headers, off-road pipes, and the MTI C2 cam. I'm really getting tired of the way it sounds. Its too dang loud. I guess thats why they named it the "Loudmouth!" I'd like to do a true dual set up, but Im not sure I want to spend that kind of money. The nice set ups that I have seen have been at least a grand. Thats way too much money for an exhaust system. I was thinking of using bullet style mufflers still, but with ones that actually have stuff in them to muffle the sound. The resonator on the Loudmouth is straight through. Plus by using the bullet style mufflers, Im sure I would still have a pretty light exhaust. Do you know of any place that makes them or a distributor that sells a really nice kit? Id like it to be bolt-in rather than weld-in just in case I ever need to pull the exhaust off. I like the v-flange ends on the FLP components, I wonder if anyone makes an exhaust system like that? If not, Id at least like to buy a true dual set up where you can just slide one pipe into another and put a clamp on it. Even with true duals and bullet style mufflers that have stuff inside them, are they still loud, poppy, and raspy? If I dont decide to go with a true dual set up, then which catback using a regular rectangular muffler flows the best and is the lightest? Thanks
Old 05-29-2003, 02:36 PM
dug
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Which catback is the very

You can replace the resonator with a 5" round borla muffler. Search for borlamouth. There is a sound clip and pics.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:40 PM
9 Second Club NA

5" sounds kinda big...will it fit without any problems or modifications (besides cutting and welding)? I know that those Borla mufflers are quite expensive! I wonder if they muffle the sound any as opposed to the straight through resonater on the Loudmouth? If you come by the link to the sound clips and pics, please post them. Thanks
Old 05-29-2003, 02:53 PM
dug
Banned

http://www.jupiterdentist.com/z28/images/borlaslp/

Yeah its a tight fit but it supposed to work. Borlas are expensive but at least youll still have a complete stainless steel catback and since you already have the lm it might be an option to consider. The rest of the exhaust is mac headers and offroad y.

Another guy name Raven did the same thing and was happy with the sound.

Good luck
Old 05-29-2003, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the borla bullit sounds much bettin in the loudmouth. crager has it and it sounds bad ***
Old 05-30-2003, 01:00 AM
9 Second Club NA

You say that its a tight fit, is it too tight where it causes banging? What all needs to be done to get it in there? Cut the resonater out, and weld the new one in place? If so, how long is the Borla bullet vs. the Loudmouth resonater? If there is no difference in length then Im good to go, but if so, then I have to chop more of the i-pipe off. Do you have the name or part# for the correct Borla bullet muffler? Thanks
Old 05-30-2003, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

get an slp dual dual flows as good as my cutout, and its dead quiet. can barely hear my 224 cam.