Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6, bbk, weiand?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls6, bbk, weiand?

i was thinking about buying the ls6 intake manifold but it seems that the price everyone wants for their used ones i can buy a new bbk or weiand intake. i was wondering if anyone had any dyno comparisons between these three intakes? any help would be great!
Old 09-09-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

I'd take the LS6 intake, but thats my opinion. I don't like the metal manifolds, because of the idea of heat soak. The plastic composite ones get pretty hot, but nothing like what would happen to a metal one.
-Joel
Old 09-09-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check this thread out... especially towards the bottom of page 1 and the second page...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...9&page=1&pp=20

Heat soak is non-relevant with intakes and is a complete myth... yes they get hot, but so does your plastic intakes, hell even your heads are made of metal and they get "heat soak" as well... to be honest ALUMINUM disapates heat very well and fast, that is why high end radiators are made of aluminum...

here's the article and dyno results you asked for...

Old 09-09-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah i read that article in another thread. Im not trying to pass BS, just figured an aluminum manifold would hold more heat because of the material. I read the article but still wasn't seeing it as fact, but glad you guys cleared it up for me.
-Joel
Old 09-09-2007, 07:34 PM
12 Second Club

A little off topic but I believe high end rads. are made of alum for wieght. It's not that alum. disapates heat better but the fine can be made thinner then copper brass meaning you have a larger surface area. I believe copper disapates heat better. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:53 PM
12 Second Club

awesome guys thanks. but does anyone know how the weiand stacks up?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Im runnin it and its great makes awseome power in the vid in my sig the rev limiter is at 6500 and it pulls hard to it .....well you can here it bumop it on each shift......so it does its job above 6k.....the heat soak is bs.....you can take a laser thermometer shoot it at the head and then at the intake and the intake is as cool as it is as doin it on a plastic intake.....well it may be a COUPLE degrees warmer but not enough to matter....

I highly recomend it its a great manifold for the money....
Old 09-09-2007, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

did u put the intake on before or after the rest of ur mods?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

it might hold heat but the air is not in there long enough to get heated know what i mean?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

done it before headers....made a very noticeable gain in upper rpms....its a gain worth its money and if ya ever spray you dont have to worry about it blowin apart....
Old 09-09-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
A little off topic but I believe high end rads. are made of alum for wieght. It's not that alum. disapates heat better but the fine can be made thinner then copper brass meaning you have a larger surface area. I believe copper disapates heat better. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure.
yes you are correct, copper does dissipate heat better, but I don't know of any Copper Intake manifolds do you?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

In response to your origional question, the LS6 intake is the fool-proof intake. I initially installed mine prior to having headers. I ported/modded my TB and MAF at the sametime. Made for a very nice SOTP difference.

However, that is not to say I am completely happy with it.... I was prior to the cam install, but now with a set of PRC heads waiting to compliment my MS4, I am still up in the air about which intake to use, especially considering the nitrous.

Also, as far as heat soak goes, the topic gets old. Is there such a thing? yes. Hoever, as said before the plastic intakes hold heat as well. How large of a difference is the heat soak between the aluminum and plastic? Then how much of that difference is seen in the air making it to the chambers? Simple math would tell me that an engine WOT pulling and average of 600cfm(cubic feet per minute) equals 10cfm every second! Trying to remember education from years ago, a very large amount of thermal energy would be required to make a noticable difference.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Launching!

i just went with the ls6 i got from a buddy