Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post here if you have overheating problems and/or an aftermarket Radiator!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Post here if you have overheating problems and/or an aftermarket Radiator!

I've searched quite a bit and there isn't much feedback on this topic. I have seen a lot of overheating threads lately and I am also having overheating problems. We had a radiator shop boil out my stock radiator and it helped but I am still heating up to 215*. That's a big improvement from the infinity it was heating up to just a week ago but still far from the 180* max temps I used to see while my radiator was still good. Search has revealed Be Cool, Griffin, Evans, Fluidyne and of course the LT1 radiator. However, there is not a lot of feedback on how these are performing. All I want is something that will fit without modification and perform better than a brand new LS1 stock radiator.

So please post here and tell us how your aftermarket radiator is performing. It would also be nice to know who you purchased it from and how it fits.

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the Be Cool Part # 60028 and personally I liked everything about it. Minimal mods to make it fit (trimming of the radiator fan shroud (took all of 20 seconds) and bending of the radiator support (took 5 minutes with a pair of channel locks)). I bought it from Summit as they do price matching and I just did a lot of research on the web to find the cheapest price then let them know about it... Along with the radiator I installed a 160 t-stat, added some water wetter, and had my fans tuned... Also I switched to the Prestone Extended Performance Yellow/Green coolant instead of that Dexcool crap that coagulates and gunks everything up...

The reason I upgraded was because my stock LS1 radiator cracked on the side plastic areas and started spewing coolant out everywhere... couldn't have been better timing either... It happened 2 weeks before I moved to Phoenix, AZ where it gets hotter than ****... NO OVERHEATING PROBLEMS since i've been here with the new radiator... I can sit in traffic with the A/C on full and the temp never rises... When I was in San Diego and got the fans tuned we had the EFI Live hooked up to it and at idle the temp never got above 178

I know some guys say they had issues installing their Be Cool radiator, but mine went really smooth and I'm a completely satisfied customer....

Here's pics of the Be Cool vs. LS1 radiators...

Old 09-09-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah I came across your posts when doing a search. I don't have A/C anymore and I have a separate cooler for my TH350 so I'm not sure if the part number for my application would be the same. Sounds like you didn't have many problems with the install. Hopefully some others will chime in.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Since you have an automatic I believe you would need Part # 62028

Go here and double check...

http://www.becool.com/#Search

but then again, since you have a seperate cooler... you might wanna call em

Customer Service: 888.515.6075
Old 09-09-2007, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

Actually, in my case, I would need the same one you have, part 60028. Any idea why they claim it is only good to 350 HP? I'm making close to 600 at the engine.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by PewterZ28
Actually, in my case, I would need the same one you have, part 60028. Any idea why they claim it is only good to 350 HP? I'm making close to 600 at the engine.
I have NO clue why they claim the 350 HP thing... I couldn't see how that could be accurate at all... As a matter of fact, when I was searching for one on here, a guy had a procharged car and had this radiator which is where I got the pics comparisons from... I wouldn't let that worry you. I mean you can absolutely see it's better than the stock LS1 one, and some people have 500+ HP with the stock radiator so...
Old 09-10-2007, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Anyone else here with a Griffin or another brand?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Triple T
Old 09-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Launching!

I'm running the BeCool. I have a 403 LS2 based motor that the stock radiator couldn't keep cool. Went in pretty easy and keeps the motor at 179 to 180 degrees with a 160 degree stat and programming for the fans. I was told to get the BeCool because it is all aluminum and could be repaired and that the others couldn't... not sure if that is true, but I do like this one.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Triple T
Old 09-13-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

LG also has a radiator. Its pricey, but includes and oil cooler. Theres a guy on here that has a website that shows his installation. Maybe he will chime in.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Triple T
Old 09-18-2007, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

OK, so I went with the Be Cool #60028. I'm going to either install it tomorrow night myself or have my mechanic do it next Monday. I don't want to go WOT on my new motor until I get the temps where they should be. I almost went with the LG radiator with oil cooler but it was just too expensive and I can't even mention how much I have spent on my car this year. Too embarrasing to say. Anyway, I hope I don't regret not getting an oil cooler.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:39 PM
10 Second Club

Just an update guys. I installed the Be Cool radiator on Wednesday night. Unfortunately it did not help my overheating problem at all. I have another thread going in the Interal Engine section and we are thinking the last place to check is the heads.

BTW, the radiator was a breeze to put in and I even have the Mezziere elec pump. However, I did have to go buy a 3/8" NPT Plug and a 1/2" NPT Plug and plug up two of the holes. I don't have A/C or an oil cooler so those holes had to be blocked. Also, my engine is really easy to work on because I don't have any of the accessories. So it probably would have been more difficult on a car that had all of the accessories.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Good to hear... as far as the install goes... sorry to hear it didn't help your problems though... that's odd... mine dropped a good 20 degrees after the cooling mods...

Quick Reply: Post here if you have overheating problems and/or an aftermarket Radiator!