Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catch can?

Ok call me an idiot but i just wanna double check something. I installed a catch can over the weekend and took my car out for a drive. NO oil in the can, which i don't believe because i burn unreal amounts of oil. So does it flow from the valley cover to the manifold or should it flow from the manifold to the valley cover?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

well that is bad news, as you may be buring the oil thru your rings then if the catch can is on properly and has no oil.

Look inside your intake and see if you can see any oil- you may need a cotton swab. If it is bone dry then it is probably the engine.

How much oil do you use?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

i just need to know which way it would flow. i checked it again and i have a little bit in there now. i burn about 1 1/2 quarts every 1k miles maybe not quite that much but close
Old 09-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Thats alot of oil. I have a supercharger and only go thru a quart or less every 5000 miles
Old 09-10-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the rings were bad, you would be getting a lot of oil into your intake from the Blow By pass the rings. I would say it is time for a tear down if you can not find the source of all of the oil being consumed. Is there oil in your exhaust pipes or intake ?
Old 09-10-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chadnol10
i just need to know which way it would flow. i checked it again and i have a little bit in there now. i burn about 1 1/2 quarts every 1k miles maybe not quite that much but close
Before I tell you how mine is routed I will tell you I have an EE catch can installed on a 2002 SS so my references may be a little different.

The hose connected to the PCV goes to the top or inlet of the catch can and the hose connected to the front of the intake manifold goes to the side or outlet of the can. Hope this helps but with the amount of oil you are having to replace every 1K miles it sounds like it is something else.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have oil in my exhaust pipes. but does anyone know which way it flows????? that is the purpose of this thread. does it go from the intake to the valley cover or the other way around?
Old 09-10-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have oil in my exhaust pipes. but does anyone know which way it flows????? that is the purpose of this thread. does it go from the intake to the valley cover or the other way around?
I thought it was self explanitory in my post above (represented by in and out of the catch). It goes from the "valley" or PCV to the intake.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Damn we should get our cars toghter and burn them down. I am going through the same b.s. When I hooked up my catch can it went from the pcv to the top and the bottom of the catch can ran into the manifold. I bought the ws6 store one. Does your car smoke if you rip on it? Our list of mods are almost exact I wonder if that has somthing to do with it!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just for reference, I installed a catch can about 30k miles ago. I've emptied it twice.

My car burns about 1/2 quart every 3000 miles, which I think is perfectly normal(engine is orginal with 105k).

Search this Thread