Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power loss...Duals to y-pipe/catback?

Old 09-10-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power loss...Duals to y-pipe/catback?

Recently had a cam installed. I CANT stand the noise level with duals, and Im not interested in getting them extended out the back. Im curious what kinda power loss I may see switching back to a catback. Im estimating around 3-5rwhp
Old 09-10-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

I bet you are right....although 10 duals owners will chime in MUCH MORE....I keep thinking duals ..but my ears keep telling me to shut the * up.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
I bet you are right....although 10 duals owners will chime in MUCH MORE....I keep thinking duals ..but my ears keep telling me to shut the * up.
Well the loss will be in the upper RPM's. Considering I dont take this car to the track but maybe once a season, I can always put a cut out in to get back those upper rpm's power losses
Old 09-11-2007, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

i'm in the same boat as you. My dumped true duals are too much for me. Especially since i have to drive this car everyday. I just got my y-pipe and magnaflow catback today and it will be going on asap!

Brent

To answer your question i dont think the power loss would be enough to worry about. ~5hp.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love duals myself (dumped ) . though i have bought a cutout and a magnaflow over the past few month and am going to try that out . i have done ressearch and seen dudes with y pipes with single cutouts still making 450 to over 500+ to the wheel .
Old 09-11-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

With the cam and other mods i would prob est 5rwhp loss is all. If you were around the 500 area it would be great loss but as long as you go with a decent 3 inch cat back and a off road y pipe i see no major losses. Any reason why you dont just get some more quiet mufflers?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by matt3383
With the cam and other mods i would prob est 5rwhp loss is all. If you were around the 500 area it would be great loss but as long as you go with a decent 3 inch cat back and a off road y pipe i see no major losses. Any reason why you dont just get some more quiet mufflers?
What mufflers are the quietest that will fit under the car?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my car with duals(straight pipes since the Spohn TA wouldn't allow for an x-pipe. It's too loud, the drone is out of control. I have always read that TD's will not gain much, if any, more power then a good catback setup. Most people do it for the sound. I wouldn't hesitate to swap setups.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

id try some 1 chambers id say it would quieten it down over the spiral flows.....jmo
Old 09-11-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Grifter
I bought my car with duals(straight pipes since the Spohn TA wouldn't allow for an x-pipe. It's too loud, the drone is out of control. I have always read that TD's will not gain much, if any, more power then a good catback setup. Most people do it for the sound. I wouldn't hesitate to swap setups.
Yeah, Im with you. The drone with the t-tops on and the windows up is horrible. I really dont know how people live with this setup on a daily basis.

Im most likely gonna go with TSP ORY and either a magnaflow/hooker set up. Had the catted-y with hooker before the cam and loved the sound. Went duals following the cam and regret it.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ravensfan
Yeah, Im with you. The drone with the t-tops on and the windows up is horrible. I really dont know how people live with this setup on a daily basis.

Im most likely gonna go with TSP ORY and either a magnaflow/hooker set up. Had the catted-y with hooker before the cam and loved the sound. Went duals following the cam and regret it.
It's not even my daily driver I think it's too loud. Sounds sick, but that drooooooooooone! Also, I have crank windows, so the driverside window is usually the only one down. The sound has no place to go.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

No need to switch to a Y pipe setup, just throw in some quieter mufflers. Sitting at 3k on the highway at 70 mph with the tops off and the windows down, you can hardly even hear my exhaust. The only time mine is somewhat loud is at WOT and at idle. I use Flowtech Raptor mufflers dumped at the passenger side axle

It's worth it to keep the duals to avoid having the yawning cat sound. At least, it was to me. That's honestly the only reason I made the switch to duals in the first place

Search this Thread