Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magnaflow catback

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default magnaflow catback

hey guys i just baught the magnaflow catback couple days ago and am waiting for it but i've had full bolt ons for a while just the only thing missing from exhaust was the pipes, had mufflers and headers. just wondering how everyone liked the magnaflow setup.(i'm running pacesetter headers btw)
Old 09-17-2007, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its good but a lot of people feel it is a bit quiet which is true. that was fixed with the cutout tho. very free flowing.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:27 AM
On The Tree

I've had mine for a few years now, it's on my bolt-on car with Kooks lt's. I have had the Magnaflow behind both Kooks' catted Y-pipe and their ORY. Without the cats in the system I couldn't possibly say it was quiet, with the cats it was toned down somewhat, all rasp was removed BUT I still think it was not quiet at all! I've had it on and off a bunch of times, never welded it and it still fits great! It's a nice system, you'll like it!
Old 09-17-2007, 05:10 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Screw it. No one wants a tractor driving down the highway. Fast and quiet LS1's seem to be the sleekest to me.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

hmm anyone else that says it's quiet? i was hoping for somewhat loud. but i am going to buy a couple cutouts just in case i need a little bit louder.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have it on mine. its not that its quiet its just deep and toned down. i like it cause its somewhat sophisticated. at first i didnt have the same attitude about it as i do now. ive grown to like it. plus at low rpm's it sounds real good. good luck with it let us know how you think when you get it
Old 09-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The magnaflow system is nice and really can't be beat for the price. Only complaint I have was the cheesy clamps but those can be changed. When I first installed it and started it up I thought maybe it was going to be too quiet. It gets louder so don't be fooled on the first start. It's nice and quiet while cruising but is throaty when you're getting on it.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good set-up..no drone..nice sound at wot..had it on my '95 and '01 formulas.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

I dont mind if it is quiet. I actually want it to be quiet. I had LT ORY and LM1, then a dynomax bullet(best setup yet), and now I have a H pipe dumped. and everyone nowadays complains, whether it be neighbors or people that get scared. ANyhow Im looking to get a catback and a new setup after my head and cam install..

what concerns me is that, is flow going to be restricted with this catback? especially that over the LM1 it may be more restrictive. but especially now that I have head n cam, it needs to breath even better. so what can I do?

I want a very good flowing exhaust that is quieter than my setups.

the only reason Im looking to do a Y pipe setup is because I have a body mounted TA with DSL and 3 pt SFCs from UMI and it will not clear doing an X pipe.

also sorry to Hijack, but since it was related to the same catback we are preferring. I decided to chime in.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

love mine,,im runnin stock manifolds at the moment, stock I pipe too.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

You will be very surprised when you start the car up the first time, it is very quiet at idle. But after about 2200 rpm's it opens up and sounds really nice. If you run cats there won't be any rasp, but if you don't run cats you will have them. It lets you have the "quiet at idle and cruising, very loud at WOT" exhaust that most people like. I threw on a cutout in the i-pipe and now it sounds like a bitch in heat. you'll love it.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by tripps
You will be very surprised when you start the car up the first time, it is very quiet at idle. But after about 2200 rpm's it opens up and sounds really nice. If you run cats there won't be any rasp, but if you don't run cats you will have them. It lets you have the "quiet at idle and cruising, very loud at WOT" exhaust that most people like. I threw on a cutout in the i-pipe and now it sounds like a bitch in heat. you'll love it.
That's odd, I have the exact same headers, Y and catback as you do, and mine is definitely, DEFINITELY NOT quiet at any rpm above idle...My car does have a 3600 stall and 342 gears though...mine's only quiet at idle.

Here's mine with the JetHot longtubes, ORY and STOCK catback...add quite a few decibels for the Magnaflow swap...lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEgyalIVm5E
Old 09-17-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Love my Magnaflow! Nice low deep muscle car rumble at idle, loud at WOT. LM is a love hate system, but way too loud and droney for me. Did think it was too quiet at first but got louder after 500 miles or so. I have stock system besides for magnaflow catback. I saw a writeup that said it was 84db at idle and 114 WOT, hope this helps!
Old 09-17-2007, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

I just installed the magnaflow catback along with ORY to my pacesetter headers. I LOVE the way it sounds! Before this catback i had True Duals dumped and although it sounded badass i couldnt stand the drone on long trips. I was worried the magnaflow would be too quiet but it honestly isn't. It is just right for me and i would never go back to true duals on a daily driver again! You wont regret it. That and you can't beat the polished look!

Brent
Old 09-17-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Magnaflow is a very nice system that is affordable and stainless no less. I picked mine up for 200 on the 4 sale board here and its been great. I recently put corsa clones on it to replace those ugly cannon tips I see recently they added different tips for options as well. The car is very mellow at cruising speeds that is until you get on it then it lets people know you mean business. Very happy with mine and you will be too.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Screw it. No one wants a tractor driving down the highway. Fast and quiet LS1's seem to be the sleekest to me.
Like yours with TD's and Cam I guess.... you know..QUIET.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

ok looks like everyone likes it, but i want TSP True Dual set up and i have a guy i'm about to buy it from. i'm selling my magnaflow which hasn't even left its box yet for around 430 shipped... besides drone and slight ground clearance anything wrong with them? i want loud and i don't mind drone, plus i don't care about neighbors.. let me know
Old 09-17-2007, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

**** THE NEIGHBORS!!....ha.....but on a serious note fork out the extra cash and get a gmmg........i wouldnt go any other way.....its quiet when you need it to be and loud when your in it....but not obnoxious......just enough to make people at a stop light turn their heads and that always kicks ***
Old 09-17-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rel3rd
That's odd, I have the exact same headers, Y and catback as you do, and mine is definitely, DEFINITELY NOT quiet at any rpm above idle...My car does have a 3600 stall and 342 gears though...mine's only quiet at idle.

Here's mine with the JetHot longtubes, ORY and STOCK catback...add quite a few decibels for the Magnaflow swap...lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEgyalIVm5E
It might be because everything was brand new? Maybe once the muffler collects some carbon in it it won't absorb any sound. But right when I started it up the first time it was quiet at everything under 2000. Hopefully time will tell otherwise.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

alot of people get pissed at magnaflow.....its just quiet (i guess it would depend on a personal deffinition of quiet).....now mustangs magnaflow setup sounds bitch.....ive got an o1 cobra at the house here and its beautiful sounding........but for some reason the f body dont even come close to being as loud.........