Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scarry Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scarry Oil Pressure

Two weeks ago i installed a LS6 intake on my 2000 car. I later learned that you are supposed to remove the coolant lines but i just bolted the intake down over them. Is this going to cause any problems. The only thing i cant figure out after the swap my oil pressure gauge is pegged out. Is this because i smashed a wire causing it to ground out, or why else would it be like this?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The LS1 intake manifold has some space underneath it, the LS6 has a lot less space, if you do not remove the coolant lines under the intake then your are lucky to not have a vaccum leak from the intake ports not meeting the heads, also you are lucky the intake didn't crack.

However the oil pressure sender unit is at the back of the intake. Is it possible to may have knocked this causing it not to function. Its quite fragile if knocked.

I think the next step is to remove the intake, and see what the sender unit looks like (make sure is not wobbly due to being knocked) and check the wires too. May be an idea to check the intake isn't cracked while you have it off. There is a GM part number for the rear coolant block off's with the front crossover pipe, I would convert the coolant lines while the intake is off.

Inside the oil pressure sender unit is a diaphram, if the sender unit is wobbly there isn't anything holding in that diapharm, I'm sure if you had enougth oil pressure it would blow it out. Is your oil pressure reading high or low. If the sender unit is cracked I would expect it to read low oil pressure.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
The LS1 intake manifold has some space underneath it, the LS6 has a lot less space, if you do not remove the coolant lines under the intake then your are lucky to not have a vaccum leak from the intake ports not meeting the heads, also you are lucky the intake didn't crack.

However the oil pressure sender unit is at the back of the intake. Is it possible to may have knocked this causing it not to function. Its quite fragile if knocked.

I think the next step is to remove the intake, and see what the sender unit looks like (make sure is not wobbly due to being knocked) and check the wires too. May be an idea to check the intake isn't cracked while you have it off. There is a GM part number for the rear coolant block off's with the front crossover pipe, I would convert the coolant lines while the intake is off.

Inside the oil pressure sender unit is a diaphram, if the sender unit is wobbly there isn't anything holding in that diapharm, I'm sure if you had enougth oil pressure it would blow it out. Is your oil pressure reading high or low. If the sender unit is cracked I would expect it to read low oil pressure.

Good advice! When i cracked mine it was pegged to the right. (highest reading)
Old 09-18-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

welcome to the "post-intake swap broken oil sending unit" club.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

alright ill rip off the intake and check the sending unit. Ive got it down where it takes me 45min to take it off and 30 to put it back on so it shouldn't be that big of a chore. Thanks guys