Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual mufflers??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True Dual mufflers??

The plan for the winter is to put together a set of duals and hopefully get rid of the "rasp" once and for all. I'm thinking about using a 3" H-pipe into a pair of 3" mufflers, then reducing into 2.5" over the axle and out the back. The thought is that it will flow plenty but the smaller tailpipes will keep some back pressure and make it not quite so loud, while also being easier to run over the axle. As for mufflers I can't decide if I should run 1 chamber Flows, or maybe medium Powersticks? Any thoughts or critiques are welcome.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 2.5" duals with 18" spiral flow mufflers and here is how loud it gets.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/e...7300c2499b.htm
Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the 1 chamber flows and they sound mediocre at best. I thought they rocked when I heard sound clips until I had them on my own car. I've been told that they sound absolutely great at WOT, but I never get to hear it outside the car. I can tell you that I have midlength headers and 2.5s all the way back and it's just as loud as any 3" dumped cars on the road, so that ruins your theory on that

My video camera crapped out for some reason or I'd get you some clips. Actually it gets sound but no video, so I could get you some incredibly poor quality video with great sound quality if you want
Old 09-26-2007, 07:06 AM
TECH Junkie

magnaflow 4x9

on my cammed ls1 there is no rasp, the sound at idle is deep and throaty. and it screams at wot

comparison vids...straight pipes then with mufflers:

Old 09-26-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Love my Sweet Thunders.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the clips and replies guys! Both of those set ups sound sweet, and I love the tone of the Magnas. I'm not so worried about it being loud as I've been been running the LM and ory for the last two years I just want it to be a bit more refined, especially since I plan to do a cam swap and possibly heads in the future. As for the Flows I may just pass, I know they will probably be a bit more obnoxious, for me at least, and I drive my car alot in the summer.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by '00_Z
As for the Flows I may just pass, I know they will probably be a bit more obnoxious, for me at least, and I drive my car alot in the summer.
Good. As much as I love flows and I was excited to get them, it's probably the best choice to steer clear. Hell, they don't even sound like flows when you use 1 chambers on an LS1.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I hate to say it but I think Flowmasters only sound good on (cough-mustangs-cough) !!
Old 09-26-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

my vids are deceiveing though....the car is by no means quiet with the MFs on it.

but it does serve to illistrate the comparison between stratight pipes (3" xpipe) and the 4x9 mufflers.

in all reality...standing next to the car now....it sounds like the first video. before the mufflers standing next to it was earsplitting loud.

the mufflers definatly gave it a refined tone...considering its cammed