Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

relocating battery v cutoff switch location

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default relocating battery v cutoff switch location

so Im considering relocating my battery to the truck of my car. To meet NHRA rules I need to have a master shutoff switch outside the vehicle. I was wondering if anyone here has done this, and if I could get pictures for ideas.
This is my daily driver so I'd rather not have a massive switch in my taillight or rear bumper.

I was thinking of putting it in the spot for my license plate, but off to the side.

Also with the relocation what did you guys do when you got the cable to the front? Did you run new wire to the fuse block/alternator or splice it into the original wiring somehow?

Would 1 gauge cable be good enough to run this distance? Or would that be too small?

Thanks for your input guys.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i can't seem to find a better photo right now, but t tops still fit. i shortened the long rod they give you for a handle considerably and used most of the bracket that comes with the switch.

you need to put the alternator on the battery side by itself, yea.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you mean I need to put the alternator on the battery side? You mean the cable connects to the alternator by itself
Old 09-27-2007, 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i mean when you are running new cables you need to run one from the alternator to the battery, not from the alternator to the accessory side

keep the things that draw power on one side of the switch and things that make power on the other side.. then when you disconnect the switch the car will shut off properly