Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks vs TTS vs Dynatech

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 06:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks vs TTS vs Dynatech

Like the subject says I need to get AS MUCH feed back on this subject as possible. I want to break this down into quality, price and gains. Im looking for a set of headers and Y that wont break the bank but will not fall apart in 3 months. There is also another main deciding factor, the car has the sportlines and is dropped 1.8 inches so clearance will also come into play. I dont need too much clearance since I wont be doing too much radical driving, but enough breathing room to atleast drive down a street without ripping off the cats or anything else.

Also in the headers much come with all the applicable hookups to make this as legal as possible, viod moving the cats. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Mark
Old 06-05-2003, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Kooks vs TTS vs Dynatech

TTT
Old 06-05-2003, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have TTS's and am very happy with them. But, the driver's side does hang kinda low, and I can scrape speedbumps and steep inclines if I don't go over them slow enough with stock ride height. So I might be heasistant to run them on a lowered car.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Actually while we're at it, here's some pics for you: http://community.webshots.com/album/62580375BMvLFJ

There's a few pics showing clearance at stock ride height with an oil container on its side as a reference. If I rotated the clamp a bit, I could probably gain some more clearance.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also in the headers much come with all the applicable hookups to make this as legal as possible, viod moving the cats. Mark
well, if im reading that right(how could i?) you just elliminated dynatechs from your list. they dont come with any AIR or egr hook-ups. and as stated above, TTS's hang very low(and not worth the $1300 price tag imo)
Old 06-08-2003, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTS are worth the $1300 price tag and more. There is not another header out there that will have the fit and quality that the tts offer. They are by far the best header for fit and finish and do flow very well. The cats are a little restrictive though. My clearance was pretty good. Even with the level 1 susp., I have very little scaping issues. Also these headers do not have banging or scraping issues.

The flanges on them are extra thick and help eliminate warping at the cylinder head that you may get with the thinner flanges. This helps give you a leak free installation.

Yes, there are headers out there that will give you more hp and cost much less, but I myself wanted quality before performance.

Just my .02
Old 06-08-2003, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Dynatechs leak like somebitches without some workto the slip fit collectors.

For the money I dont see how you cna beat the Jethots, they are built better than the Hookers, cost a good bit less. $700 bucks gets you headers and a y pipe, although the y leaves a bit to be desired in the merge, the ground clearence for longtubes is outstanding, and is better than a few MAC headers Ive seen.

As far as a leak free flange, Ive only seen one set of LS1 headers leak and that was a old used rusted set of MACs Ive installed about 40-50 sets of LS1 headers so Ive seen my fair share

The Kooks have a pretty nice design although the 1 7/8 set we just did was a major PITA
Old 06-08-2003, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KOOKs are a great well made header and a real performer
and we dont have any install problems and they can be had in either coated or stainless
Old 06-10-2003, 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The flanges on them are extra thick and help eliminate warping at the cylinder head that you may get with the thinner flanges. This helps give you a leak free installation.
so does not tightening the **** out of the bolts
Old 06-10-2003, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

I second Kooks. Looking at the pictures of the TTS, I think the Kooks tuck up closer on the driver's side.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

My TTS's are rusted to hell.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send them back to TTS. Better give them a call!!
Old 06-10-2003, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'd say either go with the hookers or the jet hot's. you're only problem is that they don't come with cat's, but hey who needs the ozone layer?
Old 06-11-2003, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

Send them back to TTS. Better give them a call!!
I tried to get in contact with them about replacing there cat converter and nevr got any reply. Also there headers dont say anywhere about being coated or resisting rust. I am riding them out this year and replacing them with a different company next year.

Quick Reply: Kooks vs TTS vs Dynatech