Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutting cats

Old 10-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutting cats

Has anyone here ever gutted their cats? Before anyone goes green on me, I'm just asking the question. Yes, I know it's not legal to not have cats. I understand the LS1 likes a little back pressure. With a good set of Bassani mid-length headers and an open Borla exhaust I figure the cats are the only thing providing back pressure.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Likes a little backpressure? Not again....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/786413-losing-power-through-gutted-cats.html
Old 10-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
Likes a little backpressure? Not again....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786413

Interesting thread. Johnny, but don't slap your forehead too hard. My comment about backpressure comes from something I read when I purchased my car almost 8 years ago.

The real reason I want to gut, is so I can take advantage of the O2 bung for my FJO wideband. Installation instructions say to place them before the cats. This is not a problem on the passenger side, but the drivers side has no room for a bung before the cat.

The FJO rep tells me the cats will alter my readings. I figure I can gut the cats, place both FJO's behind the cats in the unused O2 bungs and problem solved.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

what ever you do dont do it.sounds like *** AND doesnt gain you anything. ive heard of people welding a pipe through them.thats a different story.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by monsterbreather
what ever you do dont do it.sounds like *** AND doesnt gain you anything. ive heard of people welding a pipe through them.thats a different story.
This is not true!! I gutted my cats and with magnaflow exhaust it sounds great!! Also you do lose low range power but gain on the top end.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by odarabla
This is not true!! I gutted my cats and with magnaflow exhaust it sounds great!! Also you do lose low range power but gain on the top end.

my car sounded like *** and ran like it as well i took em off in 3 days...

Search this Thread