Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, I need a helicoil for my crank and some direction

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation HELP, I need a helicoil for my crank and some direction

Obviously you can see by the title that this is not good. I was not aware that the longer bolt method, after done so many times, ***** you. It appears that it screwed up the first few threads on the crank and will not allow for a tap. I have my balancer on and I'm wondering who has successfully helicoiled the crank with the balancer on and the motor still in the car and also everything that was used and where its from. I cant sleep at night....

I found a kit from mcmaster, but not only is it 145 bucks, but it doesn't look like the bit is long enough. I know its a 16mm 2.0 mm pitch, but how long does the helicoil supposed to be? THIS BLOWS, I havent even got to drive my car since I've done the cam swap, I just did some dyno runs and I took it apart to replace the o ring and now I get shitted on.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

This is not what I was hoping to see when I got home from work....

Has anyone done it?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this happen the first time I did my pulley, but I was able to tap it and get the stock crank bolt working again. Are you sure your using the right tap?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its only the first few threads you should be able to get a tap going. Even if its not 'easy' to get it started turn it in anyway, just dont force it. If you have it going in straight it shold catch the good threads real soon and get easier.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I was using a 16mm 2.0 tap. What did you use to make an extentension for it?