Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP MAF vs. STOCK MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP MAF vs. STOCK MAF?

With my upgrades should i replace the stock MAF?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

other than exhaust, and some other stuff,,were the same car,,,,,,,,,,,,kinda
Old 10-02-2007, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by T-56SLPSS
No the stock MAF maxes out at 690rwhp, so unless you plan on installing a D1 Procharger on your car and the supporting mods I would save your money. The aftermarket mafs are gimmicks. The only reason why people see hp gains is because the larger MAF leans the fuel mixture, once it is correctly tuned the gains are negligable. Please spend your money elsewhere.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KONG
No the stock MAF maxes out at 690rwhp, so unless you plan on installing a D1 Procharger on your car and the supporting mods I would save your money. The aftermarket mafs are gimmicks. The only reason why people see hp gains is because the larger MAF leans the fuel mixture, once it is correctly tuned the gains are negligable. Please spend your money elsewhere.
Yes but there is a difference between pegging a MAF (running out of table) and the MAF being an actual obstruction to air flow in the induction system. Of course, you need to optimize the rest of the induction system to take advantage of the larger MAF or you are just wasting your money.

You are right about some of the aftermarket MAF's leaning out the mixture. That's the same way a ported MAF works on a lot of cars. If you do a MAF, you need to get a tune for the best results.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
Yes but there is a difference between pegging a MAF (running out of table) and the MAF being an actual obstruction to air flow in the induction system. Of course, you need to optimize the rest of the induction system to take advantage of the larger MAF or you are just wasting your money.

You are right about some of the aftermarket MAF's leaning out the mixture. That's the same way a ported MAF works on a lot of cars. If you do a MAF, you need to get a tune for the best results.
Sorry, I didn't get into specifics. I meant it becomes an airflow restriction in that hp range. Didn't mean to confuse anybody.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by T-56SLPSS
I would keep the stocker.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 AM
12 Second Club

I am just curious as to why GM felt it necessary to engineer a new, larger MAF for the Z06 if the MAF they already had would support said hp rating. Maybe they just forgot to install the supercharger from the factory.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were given the choice to either take a FREE SLP MAF or pay $20 to keep the stock MAF, I'd pay the $20 to keep the stocker on.

I wouldn't put an aftermarket MAF on my car if you gave it to me for free. Hell, I wouldn't put it on my car if you gave it to me for free and paid me $50 to put it on. IMO, nothing good can come out of a MAF swap unless it's accompanied by a dynotune from a tuner with the proper tables for the MAF. I hear the SLP MAF is the worst to tune for, so it would be my last choice.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Hmmmm,,,,maybe my car is special then....
Old 10-03-2007, 12:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Galen
I am just curious as to why GM felt it necessary to engineer a new, larger MAF for the Z06 if the MAF they already had would support said hp rating. Maybe they just forgot to install the supercharger from the factory.
As I said above, even though the stock MAF may support 600 HP it is still an airflow restriction and costing HP. It is similiar to the bone stock air lid will support a 600 HP motor but if you put an aftermarket one on, you'd likely have 620 HP at the wheels. Just because something works, doesn't mean it's the best for that application.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
As I said above, even though the stock MAF may support 600 HP it is still an airflow restriction and costing HP. It is similiar to the bone stock air lid will support a 600 HP motor but if you put an aftermarket one on, you'd likely have 620 HP at the wheels. Just because something works, doesn't mean it's the best for that application.

exactly

if you put it on during dyno tuning or have a home based tuner ( hp tuners ls1 edit ect...) its worth having.

in a stock application w/ stock tuning i wouldnt waste the time or $
Old 10-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Throw your maf in the bin and get it tuned in SD mode.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KPWISHN
Throw your maf in the bin and get it tuned in SD mode.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned Village Idiot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<---- Granatelli MAF for sale!!!!