Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 days at the track = 3 smoked alternators!! Input greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 days at the track = 3 smoked alternators!! Input greatly appreciated.

I also have this post in the Drag Racing tech section here is a link to it. I am not sure which would be a better section to help.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-tech/793253-3-days-track-3-smoked-alternators-input-greatly-appreciated.html

Ok here is the deal. I have had to drive home from the track 3 times on just the battery because I keep chuckin alternators. None of this started until I changed shift points to 6900 RPM

The first time was on the way home from the track. I jumped on it messing with a friend, car got into high RPM, check gauges light came on, voltage went down. This was and aftermarket Autozone alternator that I had in the car for just under a year.

I went again on Tuesday night, not even 200 miles on replacement autozone alternator. 3rd pass, check gauges light comes on as I am going through the beams @ ~ 6700 RPM.

Wendsday, got an AC Delco alternator and a new battery. Car running great at the track got about 6 passes in. Then at end of the track again, check gauges light...bye bye alternator.

I am now going to assume the alternator internals cannot handle the RPM. I know people who have spun there engines just as high, if not higher me and not had an issue. Is there something I am not doing? I have an ATI damper, stock diameter. New belt and all other pulleys are stock. Tensioner seems to be in good working order.

Now should I be looking into an aftermarket alternator ? Should I just pulley this alternator to slow it down? Any suggestions on brands or part numbers? I would like to try and find one that I can have tomorrow so I can go to the track again tomorrow night. Any advise is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are correct in your assumption that these alternators can't handle the RPMs. I think someone on here made a comment to the effect that the maximum RPMs this style of alternator can handle is around 18,000 (not sure about its accuracy though)...a stock sized crank pulley with a stock sized alternator pulley will put it well over that mark. I put a larger pulley on my alternator to keep this from happening down the road when I start spinning mine that high on a regular basis (ASP makes it, and is 2.75" in diameter).
Old 10-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I think you are correct in your assumption that these alternators can't handle the RPMs. I think someone on here made a comment to the effect that the maximum RPMs this style of alternator can handle is around 18,000 (not sure about its accuracy though)...a stock sized crank pulley with a stock sized alternator pulley will put it well over that mark. I put a larger pulley on my alternator to keep this from happening down the road when I start spinning mine that high on a regular basis (ASP makes it, and is 2.75" in diameter).

I have my ASP on the way, having it overnighted to so I can get to the track tomorrow. Hopefully this works and I wont have any other issues. I will keep everyone posted and see if I can make it home without worrying if I have enough battery to make it back
Old 10-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Tough Mudder

Silly question, and you probably already have one, but what about an underdrive crank pulley? I've got a 25% underdrive pulley and bought an overdrive pulley for my alternator so that my headlights wouldn't dim.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've replaced 2 autozone remanufactured alternators in the past year. For the most part my car is a relatively light bolt-on car (lid, maf ends, bellow, p&p tb, and catback). Both times that my alternator went out it happended right after a 1-2 shift, shifting at about 6k.

I've learned not to go with the autozone remans.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by 98redM6

I've learned not to go with the autozone remans.
That right there is a good piece of advice for anyone to listen to. Damn Auto Zoo.