Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Removal question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C Removal question.

So I'm under my car yesterday and I hear a hissing sound like air was leaking from ym tire or something. Turns out that my steel braided tranny cooler lines were rubbing on one of the hoses going into my A/C compressor and it was leaking out that hole they wore in it. My air started not working very well which is hwy I was under the car checking things out. My question is how long would it take for it to vent out all my freon. I noticed the leak yesterday afternoon but I think that it started leaking the day before because that's when I noticed my A/C not working right. I'm just going to remove the A/C completely since this happened so I just want to know if it all leaked out and I can take everything off without any danger to myself.

Thanks,
Will
Old 06-06-2003, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: A/C Removal question.

In all honesty, I doubt that there is much freon in there at all to start out with, not for sure on ours but in most newer cars there is very very little
Old 06-06-2003, 10:00 AM
Stu
TECH Resident

If you have a hole in it there is no freon left.

There is only 1.5 lbs in the whole thing. Wait till it stops hissing and rip it out, saves about 25 lbs off the nose.

Stu
Old 06-06-2003, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Steel Braided Trans cooler lines?
Do you have a trailer queen show car?
I just used the rubber lines that came with the trans cooler; no problems at all.
Sounds like you will have to replace some AC parts.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No it's not a trailer queen show car. I had an M6 and converted to a TH400 and I used -6AN braided lines for my tranny cooler because the cooler I bought had AN fittings on it. I decided to just take all the AC off and sell it anyway.

Will